• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question php 5.6 via mod_php on plesk 18 not working?

Paris Paraskeva

New Pleskian
I have setup php 5.6 and registered it with plesk so under PHP Settings I see php 5.6 via mod_php and its turned on.

I have created a plan with php 5.6 via mod_php but when I create a domain with this plan it does not allow me to use php 5.6 via mod_php but only 5.6.40 via FastCGI application.

I am setting up a VPS on DO with Plesk to host old projects that are stuck on php 5.6 and want to keep same setup to eliminate any issues.

can anyone help?

what do you do when you have 20-30 clients running old websites which are based on php 5.6 custom made solutions?

if they are not willing to invest to redo them I can't tell them sorry we have to switch them off!

what do you do when you have 20-30 clients running old websites which are based on php 5.6 custom made solutions?

if they are not willing to invest to redo them I can't tell them sorry we have to switch them off!
I think that you will spend much more resources and funds to eliminate the consequences of using such vulnerable PHP version used by your clients. You decide.

a couple of test sites I moved over work fine under fast-cgi so I won’t try to chase this further. Thanks

@IgorG yes 5.6 is deprecated and not very secure , does not mean that all old sites are doomed to be hacked or broken down. It’s fully custom sites not based on any 3rd party open source software that can be easily exploited ! so they are fairly ok and it’s small companies with 1-5 employees mostly. All projects I did past 5 years yeas they are on php 7 but you can’t force 6+ year old clients to invest to redo them. It’s up to them. It’s thier costs to keep them live not mine. At some point they will need to since they are not even responsive!! I setup a secondary server to keep alive these older sisters so my main server can be on the bleeding edge and clean from anything deprecated .

Sorry, first time I write this, I have the same problem as Paris Paraskeva, I have 14 customers with sites using PHP 5.6 and they don't want to update the site now because they are in very bad economic shape due to pandemic. What do I do with it? do I scrap everything and bury them in the cemetery or is it possible in my brand new plesck installed on 12/31/2020, also add a version of PHP 5.6? thank you very much for the reply

@321GROUP you can install a custom PHP version with the outdated PHP, but I would not recommend it as you will put all your customers at risk.
If you want to keep that 14 Customers I would recommend setting but some small server with CentOS 7 and leave these 14 customers isolated there, this way if they get hacked due to known security issues in the EOL PHP/Code, they will not affect your other customers.

[USER = 216561] @ 321GROUP [/ USER] puoi installare una versione PHP personalizzata con PHP obsoleto, ma non la consiglierei perché metti a rischio tutti i tuoi clienti.
Se vuoi mantenere quei 14 clienti, consiglierei di impostare alcuni piccoli server con CentOS 7 e lasciare questi 14 clienti isolati lì, in questo modo se vengono violati a causa di problemi di sicurezza noti in EOL PHP / Code, non influenzeranno il tuo altri clienti.
Buongiorno, @Arashi, grazie per la risposta. Per prima cosa non sono riuscito a capire come installare Obsolete PHP. Ho trovato impossibile scegliere PHP obsoleti fino a 7.0.33 e non precedenti. Potrei offrire ai client in questione la scelta di risiedere su un server osloleto ma avrei lo stesso problema con una versione di PHP 5.6 e questa non sono riuscita a trovarla. Grazie

Last edited:
Back