• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP 7.0 ->7.0.1 update via MU kills all WP websites

Login as root user on your Linux server and run "yum update". All the available libraries will be updated without your intervention.

The latest versions available for PHP are 5.6.17 and 7.0.2.
@webbing I did what you said and all my problems have gone! The sites are working super fast!!!
Thank you very much !

@trialotto As webbing and I have stated before it was not our mistake nor WP' s. It is the fault of buggy PHP 7.0.1 on Plesk!

@IgorG You must make a very quick fix to upgrade to PHP 7.0.2 by default because all WP running servers have trouble with PHP 7.0.1 !

@Burak,

You stated:
@IgorG You must make a very quick fix to upgrade to PHP 7.0.2 by default because all WP running servers have trouble with PHP 7.0.1 !

Most or all standard Plesk instances do not have any issues with PHP 7.0.1.

See my response to the post of @Webbings.

Regards...

Trialotto,

Thank you for your replies and all the help you provided. I haven't managed to apply your last thoughts (complete uninstall of PHP via epel/Plesk and reinstall) because the last PHP 7.0.2 update applied via yum solved all the issues.

I am not sure what the problem was but definitively applying the update (without changing anything else) solved the issues. I still believe it was a glitch in the PHP 7.0.1 version.

Many thanks,

Florian.

@webbing, Florian,

The above indicates that you have an EPEL and/or dependency related issue with respect to PHP 7.0.1, causing the problems you encountered.

By simply upgrading to PHP 7.0.2, you have resolved some of the flaws in EPEL packages and/or the dependency problems.

Naturally, it works and therefore it is a solution for you, so "case closed".

However, I wanted to respond, in order to mention that your issues (i.e. EPEL related and/or package dependency related) can (and are very likely to) cause future problems, that will be similar to the current (resolved) issues.

There is not always the option to force proper dependency resolution or installation of proper packages, since a new set of packages is not always available.

In short, I would strongly advice you to check your dependencies via yum (and repare any issues with dependencies).

Regards....

@webbing, Florian,

The above indicates that you have an EPEL and/or dependency related issue with respect to PHP 7.0.1, causing the problems you encountered.

By simply upgrading to PHP 7.0.2, you have resolved some of the flaws in EPEL packages and/or the dependency problems.

Naturally, it works and therefore it is a solution for you, so "case closed".

However, I wanted to respond, in order to mention that your issues (i.e. EPEL related and/or package dependency related) can (and are very likely to) cause future problems, that will be similar to the current (resolved) issues.

There is not always the option to force proper dependency resolution or installation of proper packages, since a new set of packages is not always available.

In short, I would strongly advice you to check your dependencies via yum (and repare any issues with dependencies).

Regards....

In my opinion, Plesk should handle every detail for standard users. The users must not be involved with CLI any more. If I have not done the update as @webbing offered, I would not able to solve my issues with PHP 7.0.1. There can be lots of different people with these problems but do not forget that it will not prove the non-existence of the problem if nobody writes about it.
We are 2 people with @webbing to talk about this WP problem.

Please check the performance boost with PHP 7.0.2!

From 2.811 sec -> 0.646 sec !!! Incredible difference between PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.0.2 for Wordpress sites.

TQ1RaqM.png

WYdzJVF.png

@Burak,

It is not fair or justified to blame Plesk or Plesk Team for the PHP 7.0.1 issues that you encountered.

There are multiple sides to this issue:

a) some (minor) bugs existed in PHP 7.0.1, with those bugs being the result of the actions of PHP developers and with those bugs partially fixed in PHP 7.0.2 (and note that some of the PHP 7.0.x bugs are still present, the best solution is to implement PHP 7.0.3 - dev),

b) Plesk Team applied the latest stable PHP 7.0.x, as available on the time of implementation,

c) PHP 7.0.1 does not normally cause any issues, except for exceptional situations that are caused by and not related to PHP itself: consider EPEL for example,

and the above is not an exhaustive summary.

In short, it has nothing to do with Plesk or Plesk Team.

By the way, note that the boost in performance for WP instances is known, but ONLY present if you use WP versions 4.4 and higher!

Regards.......

@Burak,

Just saw that Plesk 12.5.30 has the PHP 7.0.2 package, I am not sure, but you should check under "Tools & Settings > PHP Settings" for the specific version of PHP 7.0.x.

Seems to be the case that your wishes are granted....

Regards....

@Burak,

It is not fair or justified to blame Plesk or Plesk Team for the PHP 7.0.1 issues that you encountered.

There are multiple sides to this issue:

a) some (minor) bugs existed in PHP 7.0.1, with those bugs being the result of the actions of PHP developers and with those bugs partially fixed in PHP 7.0.2 (and note that some of the PHP 7.0.x bugs are still present, the best solution is to implement PHP 7.0.3 - dev),

b) Plesk Team applied the latest stable PHP 7.0.x, as available on the time of implementation,

c) PHP 7.0.1 does not normally cause any issues, except for exceptional situations that are caused by and not related to PHP itself: consider EPEL for example,

and the above is not an exhaustive summary.

In short, it has nothing to do with Plesk or Plesk Team.

By the way, note that the boost in performance for WP instances is known, but ONLY present if you use WP versions 4.4 and higher!

Regards.......

You should not consider this as a blaming. I am trying to push them to get an action for the fix asap.

@Burak

You can take it from me: Plesk 12.5.30 is containing the PHP 7.0.2 package.

As for the release notes: be aware of the fact that they are not up-to-date when it concerns micro-updates.

Regards....

Back