• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Php 7.4 ? When?

Suppose that @IgorG will answer you, but really don't understand why you not update to obsidian if php 7.4 is soo important for you, you are able to obtain it today with obsidian.

Obsidian is not yet marked as an upgrade as available, which means that it is not yet stable and mature enough. Onyx, on the other hand, is a current system and not EOL. Therefore, I do not understand why Onyx gets php7.4 later than obsidian.

It does not matter, php 7.4 seems to be coming on onyx. Our experience with Plesk, since version 7.5 just says - never touch a good running system ;)

Well Obsidian is marked and available as GA since 22 October 2019 see also Change Log for Plesk Obsidian perhaps the availability depends on which Tier Level you have set on your system: Plesk Onyx Release Tiers

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.21 Update 4
PHP Updates
3 December 2019
  • PHP version 7.4.0 is now shipped with Plesk on all OSes except CentOS 6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, and CloudLinux 6.

Last edited:
Obsidian is not yet marked as an upgrade as available, which means that it is not yet stable and mature enough. Onyx, on the other hand, is a current system and not EOL. Therefore, I do not understand why Onyx gets php7.4 later than obsidian.

It does not matter, php 7.4 seems to be coming on onyx. Our experience with Plesk, since version 7.5 just says - never touch a good running system ;)

As say by @Brujo obsidian is release since more than 1 month and is absolutely stable (we have more than 50 servers with it and 0 problems). I understand perfectly that plesk team give priority to our updated system, and then, to other system...

Obsidian is not marked as "Stable" (Late adopter release (Stable)) and we will not use it for as long as it contradicts our regulations.

This is about onyx of a paying customer that is obviously neglected to motivate customers early for upgrdae. Since the demand will probably be allowed.

Plesk even likes to rely on stable versions, as you can see from the forum software, which is EOL this month. That should also be granted to paying customers.

We really do need PHP 7.4 on Onyx. It’s so important.

A server upgrade is a big step and I do not need to be pressured into doing it before I’m ready.

I love Plesk but it will be a big, big mistake to continue this policy.

I agree with the general consensus of this thread.

We also are eager to move over to 7.4 without having to upgrade Plesk to a completely new version.

PHP was in beta for quite a long time, and had a number of release candidates.

Plesk could have been preparing an update internally using release candidates, and then when stable PHP 7.4 was released, simply switch it out, follow all your internal security procedures and release an update quickly that isn't also rushed.

As say by @Brujo obsidian is release since more than 1 month and is absolutely stable (we have more than 50 servers with it and 0 problems). I understand perfectly that plesk team give priority to our updated system, and then, to other system...

This may be true in a professional environment, but for many Plesk users it is a problem if the hoster provides Plesk but does not offer support for it. (Like Hetzner).

then Obsidian is far from being as stable as you portray it and I am amazed that professionals provide their users with unstable software.

See e.g.
Updating Plesk Onyx to Obsidian

This may be true in a professional environment, but for many Plesk users it is a problem if the hoster provides Plesk but does not offer support for it. (Like Hetzner).

then Obsidian is far from being as stable as you portray it and I am amazed that professionals provide their users with unstable software.

See e.g.
Updating Plesk Onyx to Obsidian

You are absolutely wrong about stability and also absolutely wrong about update provider strategy with GA status, I can confirm you that our clients are happy to see that his provider offer always updated services. Thé fact that plesk obsidian isn't in later adopter state don't want to say that product isn't stable almost for us, you can talk about "stable" label that appear with the later adopt status, but for us it's just this... An label... (We can talk also about words as "General" and "Later" in this case,) We always update our servers when version appear in GA and never have get any big issue, we do it always with one server and if during one week there is no issue, update others servers. In any case, I don't will follow with this not constructive conversation, if you want an new feature as it is the PHP 7.4 ( we are not talking to an unsolved issue but yes new feature) you can do it upgrading today to obsidian. If you don't want do it, you had to wait that plesk team add it to onyx, there no other way! In this case, sometime better put an ticket to have an direct answer about possibly of this feature in onyx.

So let me get this straight, you want to use a version of PHP which has been out less than a month but you aren't going to upgrade to the latest version of Plesk that is almost 2 months older.

Claiming Obsidian isn't as stable being almost 2 months older than PHP7.4 makes me wonder if you really know wtf you are talking about. You could just add it via yum etc. You do have ssh access to your server etc?

I recently migrated my sites over to a new server due to it being on an EOL OS, now on a current OS. 100GB, of sites, no loss in uptime.

I wouldn't be running 7.4 on a production server right now anyway. On the dev server maybe. I will give it a month or so before looking at it running on production environments.

I wouldn't be running 7.4 on a production server right now anyway.

So, I have a development domain on my server. If PHP 7.4 isn’t available, it’s slightly difficult to test it!

We fully test with every new PHP release - so easy in Plesk to switch PHP versions.

Really hope this becomes available on Onyx.

Perhaps Plesk could just publish the recipe they use for PHP deployments and you can more easily roll your own as needed?

This might be something to consider, @IgorG.

PHP 7.4.1 was released a month ago now.

When might we expect 7.4 to come to Onyx? You released an update to Onyx on the 20th January, and there's still no PHP 7.4 support.

I can see there's some heated discussion in this thread, it seems to have caused some general frustration.

However, you guys had set a precedent that people expect you to follow when you initially introduced support for PHP 7.3 just 11 days after its initial release.

PHP 7.3.0 - released 6th December 2018
Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update 35 (with PHP 7.3.0) - released on 17th December 2018

If we look even further back, at PHP 7.2.0, we again see that Plesk Onyx supported the new release within one week of the release of PHP 7.2.0

PHP 7.2.0 - released 30th November 2017
Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 Update 33 (with PHP 7.2.0 "for customers’ websites") - released on 4th December 2017

Now, if we compare that to PHP 7.4:

PHP 7.4.0 was released on 28th November 2019
It has now been three months since the release PHP 7.4.

I'm sure it is the case that upgrading to Obsidian will be probably go quite smoothly.

However, we do have a number of customisations, and some reasonably critical software used in corporate environments internationally. We do not want to risk an unnecessary upgrade to Plesk Obsidian that might cause issues with our customisations. It probably will be OK, judging from the other responses above. Now, if our installation breaks because of the update, then perhaps the customisations we used shouldn't have been used in the first place - that's entirely possible, and I accept that. But it is entirely possible the customisations were absolutely necessary.

However, the potential risk of an upgrade to PHP 7.4 is far less than that of an upgrade to Obsidian. If the app does not work, we can simply change the PHP version back to 7.3, no problem at all. That's not so simple with the server upgrade process.

And, of course, we can test the app locally, or on our staging site.

PHP 7.4 introduces a number of new features that PHP has been in desperate need of for years now, with still more much needed features to come.

I hope you can see why we the end-users are frustrated when we just hear from other forum members that "we're wrong". And receive no official word, just stone-wall silence. This is probably partly a guilt-trip, but it really doesn't paint a good picture of you, when a user sees only this narrow slice of you as a company. I'm sure your service quality is excellent on average. Maybe we should not expect your service quality in this narrow slice to be excellent? I don't know. It feels like it should be, though.

@IgorG - I'm tagging you because you're the only user I can see in this thread that is a "staff member" - even though you only liked the posts that gang up on naive newcomers like myself.

Even if we only get a reasonably accurate ETA from you, that would be hugely appreciated.

People just like to know what the hell is going on!

Thank you.

Got this from your support channels:

"We checked this with development team, and there is no plan to support PHP 7.4"

Well, at least now we know.

Wow, really bad news if this is true. My hosting provider has blocked upgrades to obsidian so I am stuck to plesk onyx and there is no way to upgrade properly even if you try to add a dedicated plesk obsidian license.
Sure, I could host my websites somewhere else but a Migration is always a risky task. If we got an official explanation as to why 7.4 is not coming (maybe a technical reason?) I would know what to do and plan accordingly.

If we got an official explanation as to why 7.4 is not coming (maybe a technical reason?) I would know what to do and plan accordingly.
Sorry, but we do not plan to release PHP 7.4 for Onyx due to business reasons.

Wow, really bad news if this is true. My hosting provider has blocked upgrades to obsidian so I am stuck to plesk onyx and there is no way to upgrade properly even if you try to add a dedicated plesk obsidian license.
Sure, I could host my websites somewhere else but a Migration is always a risky task. If we got an official explanation as to why 7.4 is not coming (maybe a technical reason?) I would know what to do and plan accordingly.
Recommend you to change of hosting provider, there is no justification of block upgrade and some hoster that
subjectively decide about your strategy is not an good provider....

Probably as bad as blocking a php-version for business reasons....
We do not block and support the latest version of PHP in our flagship product. Please use it and you will receive all of its benefits.

Back