• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question PHP CLI versions in chrooted environment

Sven Wappler

New Pleskian
Hello,
first I would like to ask a question of understanding because I am new to Plesk users. I am a server administrator and PHP developer and would like to use Plesk as a reseller among other things. I am also looking for solutions for partner agencies. PHP software needs more and more access to PHP CLI. Symfony, Laravel, TYPO3, magento, matomo ... all have consoles that need to be served via SSH. With other hosters this is possible through their own developed management systems. Mostly the customer gets a specific PHP version for the complete account (suboptimal).
I thought Plesk was actually developed to provide this functionality similarly.
After analyzing the Plesk system, it seems to me that there are two options available:
- Allowing login via /bin/bash (non chroot). Many reseller hosters don't like this either, because it gives the customer too much insight into the system.
- The login via chroot. This solution could also make it possible to provide the PHP versions with different modules and adapt them to the subscriptions.

What I would like to see is the possibility to set the different PHP CLI versions per domain. Important: These would also update with an update of the PHP version.
These would be then per
bash-5.0$ php8.1 -v bash-5.0$ php8.0 -v
for example. Different versions because the subdomains might need different PHP versions.

Among other things, I did not understand instructions like https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-Composer-to-a-chrooted-environment-in-Plesk-, because creating symlinks with destination outside the chroot container does not work technically. Nonetheless, it wouldn't really meet the requirements either, because both PHP and add-ons should be able to be set differently version-wise per domain.

I think the Plesk product could be better adapted to end users in this point, so resellers can sell it better. Have I overlooked some form of realization? Or what do you think?

Back