• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

php mail() strange behaviour (bug or not ?)

Publipresse

New Pleskian
Hi everybody,
I have experienced a strange Plesk 12.5 behavior

Plesk DNS server is OFF

I have turned OFF the general mail function in Tools and Settings
So, no email parameters appears in my domains configuration : OK !
BUT : when a website (mywebsite.tld) send an email to an address ending with the same domain ([email protected]), it doesn't work. The server try to send it locally !!

So, I turn ON the general mail function in Tools and Settings
And, I turn OFF the mail function in the domain parameters
And, now it works !! (the server don't send the email locally)
But, I need to do this for each domains !!

Is it a bug ???
I thought that turning OFF the general mail function in Tools and Settings will be the solution but no !

Thanks,

But, I need to do this for each domains !!

Is it a bug ???
I thought that turning OFF the general mail function in Tools and Settings will be the solution but no !
Just disable mail service in corresponding Service Plan and sync this change with subscriptions of this plan. Mail service will be disabled for subscriptions.

Yes, I understand BUT I think that you don't understand me !

I have a site : www.mydomain.com
I want to send 2 emails with a form to : [email protected] (same domain) and [email protected] (other domain)

I disable general mail function in Tools and Settings : The mail is received only by [email protected] !!! WHY ??
I enable general mail function in Tools and Settings and disable mail function in the subscription : is is OK. The mail is received by [email protected] and [email protected]

So ...

It is how the mailservers seem to work.

When the server sends email (via whatever method/script), it usually goes to the SMTP server on your box. That SMTP server (Qmail or Postfix) has a list of local domains which it looks at for any email arriving (if you think about it, it has to do this, because it has to decide if the email is for a local or remote recipient, and indeed whether to accept the email at all depending on authentication and IP). If the domain is found on this list, it delivers it locally*. If the domain is not on the list then it does a DNS lookup to find out where to send the email. Both qmail and postfix work in a similar same way. It is logical when you think about it.

So, when email for a domain is hosted elsewhere, it is always necessary to disable mail for that domain in order for the email to be delivered to the correct location.

* I'm simplifying things -- in reality it is more complicated.

Hi,
I really understand how works postfix or Qmail.
BUT, i really thought that by disabling all the mail function in Tools and Settings, it will disable mail for all domains but no !

Thanks

Back