• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP: open_basedir restriction in effect. PHP/OwnCloud question regarding Plesk setup:

maybeageek

New Pleskian
Hi Community,

I am somewhat new to Plesk, however not Linux or OwnCloud.

Somehow I have a problem updating my owncloud instance I installed using a subdomain created through plesk. From the logfile it seems there are open_basedir restrictions in effect, but I can't find them anywhere.

Usually I would find them in the php.ini, but there are non in the general php.ini and there is no php.ini for this subdomain.

Additionally I am a little baffled for the PHP settings with Plesk in general. For example I can set file upload-limits how much I like in plesk or through console in what file I want, the owncloud always limits itself to 512MB. Since this is also a php setting I wonder if I am missing a config file plesk put somewhere and that is being used or if plesk is somehow ignoring the values I put in through the web interface.

Any help is apreciated, and any further info that is needed will be proivided :)

Thanks again,

maybeageek

Server: Ubuntu 14.04 (all updates)
Plesk: 12.0.18 Update #49

@maybeageek,

Plesk Panel is using a php.ini file, depending on the way php is being executed.

For instance, with the standard setting "Run PHP as FastCGI application", the actual php.ini file used is /etc/php5/cli/php.ini.

You can find out which php.ini file is being used, by issuing the php --ini command on a command line.

However, do not change that php.ini file.

The php.ini file used by a specific domain or subdomain is different (the location thereof is not really relevant).

One can set the PHP settings for each domain or subdomain individually, just go the tab "Website & Domains", click "PHP Settings" and change settings (if required).

Note that PHP settings for a subdomain can be dependent on the PHP settings of the corresponding (top-level) domain, be aware of that when changing settings (for a subdomain).

In your case, it is very likely that you encounter some issues with PHP settings on the subdomain itself.

Note that the issue is very likely to be (only) related to the current post_max_size, as chosen by you.

I would suggest to enter the following custom values:

- max_execution_time: 120 (in seconds)
- max_input_time: 120 (in seconds)
- post_max_size: 128M (or more, if required)
- upload_max_filesize: 64M (or more, if required)

and that should do the trick.

Note that changing other custom values can do no harm.

If not, go to the PHP settings of the top-level domain and enter the same custom values in the PHP settings page.

If that does not work, just let me know.

Kind regards....

@maybeageek,

No problem, glad to hear it helped.

For the sake of security, one should be aware that the before mentioned settings are not really desirable.

If possible, you should determine the process(es) that require "augmented PHP settings" and, afterwards, try to test whether some of these processes can be served with lower values.

The above is just a simple note concerning security considerations.

Kind regards.....

Back