• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Please get rid of Qmail

eugenevdm

Regular Pleskian
I've been holding out for a year. Plesk 8 with it's Qmail manager and the fact that SWsoft is now providing the source of their Qmail additions so that we can compile our own Qmail is great.

But rumor has it that Qmail is not actively being developed any more. This will hold major long term architectural implications for a product such as Plesk. E-mail is *actually* still continiously evolving. There are some things that Qmail just can't do or don't do right. It's not a modern MTA any more. Please consider this.

I would also prefer postfix as MTA but thats not the case. I dont think this will change within a short period of time. I accepted it... so be it.

I upgraded from Cpanel to Plesk and have had a lot of problems with crappy Qmail.

On Cpanel I was running Exim and it ran awesome. Not once in one year did I have a mail issue.

If qmail works.. .just dont do anything with it... thats how qmail works.

Originally posted by rvdmeer
If qmail works.. .just dont do anything with it... thats how qmail works.
That's the problem in most cases - qmail does not work the way I like.

In my opinion postfix is easier to fine tune.

Question: In which log file do I find the IP address of a machine that sends me mail? It's NOT /var/log/mail.*

i know, thats one of the mayor issues about qmail.. not able to have just one log file with all the information you need.

General: /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog
IPSMTP: /var/log/secure

Originally posted by Lars
Question: In which log file do I find the IP address of a machine that sends me mail? It's NOT /var/log/mail.* [/B]

/usr/local/psa/var/maillog

Originally posted by rtwick
/usr/local/psa/var/maillog
No, I only get entries from qmail, spamd and imapd.

127.0.0.1 is not the address I am interested in. The entry is from imapd: Connection, ip=[127.0.0.1]

guess so?!
[root@vite ~]# tail -f /var/log/secure
Mar 31 22:00:53 vite xinetd[2070]: START: smtp pid=9002 from=195.121.6.123
Mar 31 22:03:05 vite xinetd[2070]: START: smtp pid=9141 from=130.94.6.219
so, doing a:
[root@vite ~]# tail -f /var/log/secure | grep smtp &
[root@vite ~]# tail -f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog
My guess is that it will show it abit like postfix does...

ps. I know, i know, its still not the same like postfix... :(

If you see:

imapd: Connection, ip=[127.0.0.1]

Then that means that the email was sent from your local server via webmail.

Originally posted by eugenevdm
I've been holding out for a year. Plesk 8 with it's Qmail manager and the fact that SWsoft is now providing the source of their Qmail additions so that we can compile our own Qmail is great.

But rumor has it that Qmail is not actively being developed any more. This will hold major long term architectural implications for a product such as Plesk. E-mail is *actually* still continiously evolving. There are some things that Qmail just can't do or don't do right. It's not a modern MTA any more. Please consider this.

Hi eugenevdm,

I would like to know if the qmail patches here: http://kb.swsoft.com/article_22_1088_en.html
for Plesk 7.5.4 are the same patches used for Plesk 8.0

Thx for your help.

MAthieu

I cannot answer this question and you will have to contact SWSoft directly. My guess is yes but there are other people on this forum far better qualified to answer this question.

Personally I am too scared to do it because I'm scared that I will break Plesk. I have too much to loose. One day when someone compiles Qmail with Multilog and maybe some free anti-virus and Plesk is still working I'll jump in. I'd hate to loose the new queue management feature as well.

Free anti-virus is perfectly possible. I run ClamAV on all my Plesk machines. As is free spamfiltering by the way. You just don't get a Plesk interface for them.

SWSoft has told me that Postfix will be supported in the upcoming Plesk 8.2, which is due for release by the end of June :)

Back