• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Pleask 10 downgrade?

C

cosmotic

Plesk 10 is so awful. Godaddy refuses to let me downgrade to 9 or 8. Can I get an installer for 9 from Paralells and use my license for 10?

No. License from 10.x is not compatible with 9.x version. Plesk downgrade is also impossible.

The quality of Plesk 10 is far below that of Plesk 8. How on Earth did it pass QC? It's much harder to use, much uglier, and much buggier. The updater bugs out, the migration tool completely fails repeatedly and inconsistently, and the entire package is twice as complicated as it used to be.

We've had a Plesk 8 VPS for many years now. GoDaddy forces it's users to reprovision if they want the additional disk space, memory, and bandwidth they are paying for when the plans are upgraded. So basically we've been forced to upgrade to Plesk 10. Plesk 10 is so awful we're going to just leave GoDaddy and Plesk behind and do everything the good old fashioned way. It's all extremely disappointing really; Plesk 8 was so great.

Incase Parallels wasn't aware, GoDaddy has no interest in supporting Plesk or keeping it's customers satisfied. It's really a convenient business arrangement: Parallels sells a product which would never pass any reasonable quality control process and makes a mint from GoDaddy buying it. GoDaddy pawns off support costs from the super buggy software they CHARGE for to their customers and just points them to Parallels. Guess who loses? The users.

lhwparis,

Thanks for your valuable addition to this thread!

Have to agree. Have Plesk 10 on my server 3. Im in the market for server 4 and looking for one with Plesk 8 to match my servers 1 and 2 but theyre a bit thin on the ground.

The whole subscriptions thing has completely lost me. I still cant figure out the difference between a domain nad a subscription, apart from I always click the wrong one when I need to configure something!

Have to agree. Have Plesk 10 on my server 3. Im in the market for server 4 and looking for one with Plesk 8 to match my servers 1 and 2 but theyre a bit thin on the ground.

The whole subscriptions thing has completely lost me. I still cant figure out the difference between a domain nad a subscription, apart from I always click the wrong one when I need to configure something!

Why you do not use Power User mode? It does not provide facilities to manage hosting plans, subscriptions, resellers, and customers. http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP10/10.4/Doc/en-US/online/plesk-administrator-guide/about.htm

Im in the market for server 4 and looking for one with Plesk 8 to match my servers 1 and 2 but theyre a bit thin on the ground.

Plesk 8 is no longer actively maintained and will reach end of life on September 1, 2012: http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/lifecycle I would advice against going with Plesk 8 on a new server at this time.

The 'Serving Your Customers and Employing Resellers' chapter in the administrator guide has sections like 'Understanding Plans and Subscriptions': http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP10/10.4/Doc/en-US/online/plesk-administrator-guide/64939.htm

:) this reminds of my earlier days with plesk 10. Everything looked new and it took time before I appreciated to upgrade ALL my servers to Plesk 10. Actually it was a forced upgrade, I remember all my licences expired and failed to renew, so the only solution was to upgrade to Plesk 10. I just faced the change, and later I realized plesk 10 is really a good and improved control panel ...

It might be hard in the first days to figure out a few things, but as you use it, you will appreciate it ...I suggest you jump directly to Plesk 11.

Back