• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.3 Breaks Simple DNS

J

JOHNYIP

Plesk has done it again!!

We have upgraded to 10.3 and now we found our Simple DNS not working anymore. Contacted and paid for support and just got told that 10.3 doesn't support Simple DNS anymore.

What a load of s#$%!!

Plesk has finally gave me a reason to move on

I have installed the Microsoft DNS Server

I have installed the Microsoft DNS Server but the server do not recognize how do i can made it recognize the I have installed the Microsoft DNS Server?

Did you try to click Refresh button on Server Components page?

Hello IgorG,

Thanks for your updates, now my questions are:

1) Why did Parallels retire the support for SimpleDNS?
2) Is this permanent?

Kind regards,

Foxxl

As far as I know support of SimpleDNS was dropped due to rare usage according to statistics. That means that we do not exclude support from code but we just do not test new versions with Plesk. Most probably it will work fine. Did you try it? What sort of problems you have with it exactly?

Recently i updated my new Plesk 10.2 server via de updates button in Plesk but now my Simple DNS server is not recognized anymore! auch!

Server Components refresh shows only

■BIND DNS Server 9.7.3-P1
■Microsoft DNS Server (not installed)
■(not configured)
■DNS service is switched off

Simple DNS is not listed anymore! I did a reboot of the machine, still no luck!

There is a new update Plesk 10.3.1, upgraded succesfully, nothing changed with SimpleDNS support. Server components refresh looks like this now:

■BIND DNS Server 9.7.3-P3
■Microsoft DNS Server (not installed)
■(not configured)
■DNS service is switched off

SimpleDNS records list is empty, what can i do? This is a real pain.

Right. Simple DNS is not supported as I wrote before due to rare usage. Use other supported DNS servers.

I bought Simple DNS because

1) it has a really kick arse and secure primary secondary integration facility.
2) It runs in Windows
3) IT WAS SUPPORTED BY PLESK

How can I put simple DNS integration back in?

And also setting up of secondary DNS to have new domains automatically created was trivial AND documented.

Can we get any other solution for automatic creation of new domains on the secondary?

Hello IgorG, can you please ask the Plesk decision maker to put support for SimpleDNS back into the product?

We really want to use the product, it is the best DNS combination with Plesk.

We allready bought the simpleDNS product and are using in on many Plesk servers.

We cannot upgrade our plesk 9.x servers because it breaks DNS infra.

Thank you in advance!

Can anybody explain me convincingly why SimpleDNS is better than supported DNS servers and why you can't switch to supported DNS servers? What is main feature of SimpleDNS which you can't find in supported DNS servers? Why we should spend resources for this very rare used DNS server?

See here unique features of SimpleDNS:

1) automatic delete of zones removed from Plesk

2) robust and easy to configure master/slave functionality

3) when having multiple of the same zones in Plesk only the first will be online (customers cannot overrule DNS of already added zones, in other words customers cannot break DNS by adding hosting for the same domainname)

4) easy troubleshooting with nice GUI apps

Any more?

Greetings Paul Hermans

Well. I have forwarded your request and reasons to developers. I will update thread with any useful information as soon as I receive it.

Even possibly a section in the releas notes that says "We have removed support for ALLTHESTUFFYOULIKE".

The reasons quoted by FOXXL are good. The main reason I used it was for the secure zone transfers and auto setup of secondaries.

Plus the integration with plesk made it easy to have a non standard DNS environment.

My plesk servers are set as a private master with multiple secondary DNS. This kind of setup in anything but simpleDNS is a complete beast. simpleDNS - dead easy.

What about implementing a way to connect DNS products you dont support via an API that way people like myself who view DNS security more seriously can use RPC/SOAP/Whatever to build a bridge in the language of our choice. Obviously it wouldn't be supported by Parallels.

At the moment I am considering abandoning plesk all together.

And, by the way, how does Parallels collect usage information about who is using what DNS product? I know I have never been invited to respond to a survey of any kind.

Notification of features removed

I think it would be relatively routine for the upgrade system to notify the users if they are using features that are going to be disabled or removed. This would have saved me the headaches, and I would have not upgraded past the version that supports simpledns.

How can I revert my PLESK to a prior version?

From the server backup that doesn't have any of my clients recent site changes, their email, or my new domains you mean?

I went through the release notes and couldn't see where it mentioned simpledns support was being removed - any chance you can point me to the statement from Plesk about it? Right now my boss is pretty pissed -at me-

Back