• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.3 Breaks Simple DNS

The thing that irritates me is that it just turned off simple DNS, and enabled MS DNS, and didn't notify. The notes don't mention SimpleDNS thats my point - if you are changing something from release to release, like adding functionality to support something new, or removing support for something you dont think people use, it would be great to mention it.

Its like it was removed, and everyone was silent about it hoping no-one would notice.

We'll I didn't notice in time, as it seems others didn't too. It's just that it leaves a bad taste, you know?

As I wrote before we have corresponding request to developers. I have no any ETA when SimpleDNS will be supported.

SimpleDNS is a feature rich component that has always been a part of our server functionality. Choosing to simply not support it seems a bit unnecessary.

There are many of us who have invested plenty of time, effort and money integrating the software into our server world - including Plesk.

I strongly urge you to reintegrate it. Breaking processes for customers by simply "not saying" it's supported is far from "saying" it's no longer going to be supported and giving us the opportunity to make other arrangements in advance.

"Not saying" something is not the same as a notice telling us we must radically change how we handle our servers. You will cost us all time and money simply trying to fix something you broke without warning us. That is not the way to promote client support and interest..

SimpleDNS is not only integrated with your software. It's integrated with many other pieces of our server processes. You are asking us now to change all those processes as well as yours.

Please.. put SimpleDNS support back in... and let us continue working the way we have for years. Otherwise, I find it appropriate for us to recommend to our clients that they move away from Plesk and consider alternatives that are more stable in their approach to the client.

Not a threat.. just a reality as someone who manages client accounts for 55+ server facilities. Not all use SimpleDNS - but many use Plesk. But there are alternatives.

Please.. consider our position, as we would consider yours.

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Igor,

Can you please update us as to scheduling for this re-instated feature?

If it has been given to the developers and they have taken the request seriously, it will be resourced and scheduled. From someone in software development, surely it can't be too hard to check out the code and remerge into the current branch.

This is particularly urgent for me, so knowing how long I have to wait will help me make a decision.

I have informed developers but I have no any ETA when it will be implemented. You can try to escalate this problem via Parallels Support Team with reference to request #82216. SimpleDNS support

IgorG,

How do I contact "Parallels Support Team"? I can't email, or chat online to anyone, or call due to time zone differences.

D

Hi,

Another helpful and important feature is the automatic creation of secondary domains in the secondary/tertiary servers without any manual intervention.

I cannot understand the reasoning for removing the support for Simple DNS. I can understand that you feel that a few of your users actually use SimpleDNS (even though I cannot see how you can quantify this as you do not have access to the installs of all your customers), however once JH Software have not changed anything to their API there is nothing that Plesk need to update/change to keep the SimpleDNS support going. i.e. NO EFFORT from Parallels would be required.

Also large investments have been made in time and money to utilise such products. Parallels cannot just decide to remove such support when these products were suggested by Parallels themselves.

We utilise SmarterTools for Mail and Domain Statistics that was bought also via Parallels. Do I have to understand that support for these products can also be removed without notice as you have done with SimpleDNS?

It is already a leap of faith to attempt an upgrade of Plesk (since this moved from SWsoft to Parallel) as more often then not something ALWAYS breaks, at least in our experience. Worrying that existing Server Software may also stop working adds yet more worry and sleepless nights!!

Can you please get the SimpleDNS support re-enabled.

All - Please put this support back in. I cannot upgrade because of this. We have a unique setup and require the Super Master/Slave configuration that Simple DNS has. This is a very fair reason. Otherwise we are going to have to move to a different panel for our servers going forward.
Website Panel supports them - and it's free..

Why do you think I am posting this asking for support to be put back in for this! I already read that!!! What kind of response is that?

MichaeC, why do you think that posted link is only for you?

Thats it!

The best way is to close developement of plesk control panel! In my case you lost now a customer! Stopping support for simple dns will stopping now support to use your software!
Stopping support and do not prevent update of your software for not supported components

I am so angry your management guys!

Come on...

I think the frustraion here is the communication. I put my vote in with a valid reason, and was responded to with the same KB article I already read which brought me here in the first place.

So the question is - IS THERE A PLAN or IS THERE NOT a plan to put this back in. Their API has not changed, so how hard can it be?

If there is a plan to do this, I will be more than happy to wait for it before upgrading.

Simple DNS Plus is a great product and has some unique features that allow us to properly manage DNS for our customers unlike the others. It also costed us money to buy (which we were happy to do).

We also pay to have Plesk as well.

So, is there a plan? Estimate of how long?

For us it was definitvely the last fail from parallels! Just now we migrating to a other controlpanel!

I can say only that I have submitted request about returning SimpleDNS support long time ago. But I still haven't any response from developers. Looks like it has very low priority. I will forward it again to responsible persons and I will update thread with results as soon as I receive it.

Sorry guys, it wasn't really polite from our side to drop SimpleDNS support without wide notifications. I think that now we will inform you about dropping some third-party software or some functionality in Plesk more actively.
Also I hope that from your side you will be more careful before Plesk upgrade and read Release Notes for new version at least.

It don't cares me because this was the last update for plesk in this life. After we finishing the move to our new control panel we will remove the software from our server!

Btw:

For your question why MS DNS or BindSch... is not goodenought for DNS:

1. Distributed DNS Server works with this two Servers as **** Updates are not just in Time or will completely not processed
2. The handling for this 2 Servers especally bind is horribl
3. There is no possibility to sell Dynamic DNS with MS and Bind ****

and so on.

Kicking support for the best DNS Server ever in fact of some people do not need premium funktions ore are too stingy was a stupid decission!

Dropping support during a minor version upgrade like this is unfortunate and rather concerning. This is especially so given there is no notification from the installer. The KB article posted on November 17th says that integration was dropped in 10.x but we were already running 10.0.1 and it certainly was supported in that version.

It wasn't until an upgrade from 10.0.1 to 10.4.4 when the installer simply installed BIND and removed SimpleDNS support.

I would really like to see SimpleDNS support reinstated since this is a much more elegant solution for mirroring our Primary Plesk DNS server and one that we have invested in because it was the only good solution for DNS with Plesk on Windows.

Back