• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.4.4 on Debian won't let me create a "Quick Preview" domain

R

robin24

Hi,
I'm currently running Plesk 10.4.4 on Debian Squeeze. I'm trying to assign a subdomain to be a quick preview domain, however with no luck. Under server -> Website Preview Settings, I currently can't even select the "Quick Preview" option. According to Plesk, this is because I have to "Create at least one domain". When I click on this, I'm asked to create a whole new webspace. But, actually I don't have to do this right? It should be enough to just have a subdomain for that purpose. Can someone please help me to fix this?
Thanks!
Robin

You should use domain for quick preview because customer's websites presents as subdomains of one of your already existing domains.

Hello,
sorry, but I have no idea about what to make of this answer. Of course I want to create a sub domain for Quick Preview. However, when I look at the Quick Preview settings, the only thing I can do there is to create a whole new webspace, which is obviously not something that I want.
Robin

You do need to have at least one domain already configured on your server for Plesk to use to create the subdomains under. If I'm reading your post correctly you currently have no domains setup. There needs to be a domain that Plesk can make new subdomains under.
I just upgraded to 10.4.4 and I cannot select the default domain that is used under Plesk. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a limitation..but I haven't had time to investigate. In our case, we have ourdomain.com as the default domain for our Plesk install and have setup our2nddomain.com as the "Preview" domain. So I guess in our case, you need TWO domains already configured on the server. One that is our "main" domain and a 2nd so we can tell our customers to go to yourdomain.our2nddomain.com.

Quick followup. I'm not clear if you already have ONE domain setup in Plesk, and want to use THAT domain but it is set as the default domain. If you do have one domain but it isn't an option to use, you may want to watch this:
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=257261
I just opened this message so we can clarify if we MUST have at least 2 domains on the server, or if I'm out of my mind and making your problem more confusing.

I just opened this message so we can clarify if we MUST have at least 2 domains on the server, or if I'm out of my mind and making your problem more confusing.
I'm out of my mind, making your problem more confusing. Never mind. I still would like to clarify -- you do have at least one domain setup in Plesk, right?

Hi,
thanks for all the useful info! I've now been able to resolve this issue... Nope, you actually don't need 2 domains in Plesk to do this (although I do have 2 domains set up, one of which being the default domain).
The thing is, I don't do any DNS stuff on my Plesk server, all that is done externally. Thus, I completely disabled DNS management in Plesk. If I'm correct here, this will make it impossible for Plesk to automatically create preview domains, as the DNS records that will resolve to the preview domain will have to be created manually. Thus, what I did was I selected "Quick Preview on an external domain name" in the Preview Settings. Then, for the domain, I specified preview.example.com (where example.com is my default domain) and applied the changes. Next, I went to my DNS server and set up an a record to resolve to the new sub domain. Now, when I add a new domain, Plesk creates a preview domain that looks like new-domain.tld.my-ip-address.preview.example.com.
I now tested this and it seems to work just fine.
Thanks for your advice!!!
Robin

Back