• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 11 + Apache and Nginx SNI

paulieG

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

Please can you confirm the status of SNI in Plesk 11 on CentOS 6 i386. The documentation states that SNI enabled Apache (ie your custom build) should be installed by default, but it isn't being done, and within the installer I get no option to choose or unchoose SNI.

After install I get the CentOS default build of Apache (which doesn't have SNI enabled to my knowledge).

Paul.

As far as I know on CentOS6 vendor Apache supports SNI by default, so we doesn't provide specific build of Apache.

You are correct. I checked the changelogs for the rpm and found nothing, but the documentation asserts that SNI is there.

I still have the problem that it won't work though, if I set the IP on the server to dedicated the SSL button appears in the panel, but if I set it to shared it disappears, so Plesk 11 doesn't think I have SNI enabled, or there is some further configuration I need to do? (From looking at the documentation for apache it appears there is nothing specific required to enable SNI).

Paul.

Strange. I have tested it with shared IP on

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)

and I see "Add SSL Certificate" button on "Websites & Domains" tab.

Igor,

The "Add SSL Certificates" button will NOT show on a shared IP not until you install "Apache web server with SNI support" using the auto-installer.

Atleast that was the case on my server ..

Igor,

The "Add SSL Certificates" button will NOT show on a shared IP not until you install "Apache web server with SNI support" using the auto-installer.

Atleast that was the case on my server ..

Yes, you are correct. Thank you.

I'm afraid IgorG was also correct in my case, in CentOS 6 the installer doesn't provide this option because SNI is in the distro build of httpd. I had no problems on x86_64 with the SSL Certificate button appearing and I haven't gone back to i386 to retest.

I did run into further problems with this though, I'm not entirely sure that nginx is being properly reloaded/restarted on certificate changes because it didn't work till I stopped and started nginx manually on the command line.

Disabling nginx and running Apache only didn't have this problem.

Paul.

That would be true if you are installing a fresh copy of plesk (I think), but when upgrading from a previous version of plesk that didnt have SNI support, then it appears thereafter.

SNI needs openssl 0.9.8f or later to function.

CentOS community says NO openssl 0.9.8f or later for CentOS 5.8 release/branch. 5.8 is the latest available in 5.x branch for CentOS. openssl 0.9.8e is the latest your going to get with CentOS 5.8

I'm told Upgrade to CentOS 6.x to use SNI.

Also that, multiple browsers still don't support SNI, especially IE or WinXP users.

Last edited:
Back