• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 11 Backup restore in Plesk 12 results in tons of failed with return code 1

isp4p

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

a Backup from Plesk 11.0.9 last MU installed to Plesk 12.0.18 last MU installed brings a lot of:

Database:

<message code="FailedDatabaseUserDeployment" severity="warning" id="160ffa07-4a78-400b-88f9-8a4292b78c30">
<description>Failed deployment of database user phpbb of database usr_web2_3</description>
<message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="warning" id="f5e9a089-a046-4937-8fe0-bbaee9e61b7b">
<description>Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/database.php --update usr_web2_3 -add_user phpbb -server localhost:3306 -type mysql -print-id -default -set-acl % -passwd '' -passwd_type sym -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
</description>
</message>

While on shell it results in:

# /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/database.php --update usr_web2_3 -add_user phpbb -server localhost:3306 -type mysql -print-id -default -set-acl % -passwd '' -passwd_type sym -ignore-nonexistent-options
You should specify "PSA_PASSWORD" or "PSA_CRYPTED_PASSWORD" environment variables when you pass empty -passwd option

###############

Same goes for emails:

<message code="FailedMailuserDeployment" severity="warning" id="6f183fcd-be3e-4912-808c-a52dbea2b013">
<description>Failed deployment of mail user [email protected]</description>
<message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="warning" id="7923d4ac-263b-4e37-87a9-d636cd7d5f88">
<description>Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/mail.php --create [email protected] -passwd '' -passwd_type sym -mailbox true -mbox_quota -1 -aliases add:abuse,administrator,hostmaster,postmaster,webmaster -forwarding false -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
</description>
</message>

While on shell is looks like:

# /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/mail.php --create [email protected] -passwd '' -passwd_type sym -mailbox true -mbox_quota -1 -aliases add:abuse,administrator,hostmaster,postmaster,webmaster -forwarding false -ignore-nonexistent-options
An error occured during mailname creation: Can't create mailname:
You should specify "PSA_PASSWORD" or "PSA_CRYPTED_PASSWORD" environment variables when you pass empty -passwd option

---------------

So how to solve this problem ?

Thank you !

Greetings
Oliver

Last edited:
I have the same issue when restoring a backup created with Version 12.0.18 to 12.0.18. I think the commands are executed as stated in the log with an empty -passwd and the appopriate environment variables PSA_PASSWORD or PSA_CRYPTED_PASSWORD aren't properly recognized by the restoration script. Usually you will find the encrypted password inside the XML files of the backup. The restoration process somehow fails to pull these values from the XML files.

We definitely need a solution here...
Thanks!

Same problem here.

We cannot restore backup file from Plesk 11.0.9 to 12.0.18 Update #10

Any advice beside doing this manual?

Hi,

thanks to the plesk support i got some informations which will help in this situation.

The short version:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/112699
http://kb.parallels.com/en/113252

The long version:

All passwords with the backup's are encrypted with a server unique symetrical key.

On a new server install you will have a new key and fail to decrypt the passwords.

So you can set them new, or you copy the symetric key from the old server to decrypt it. You could also use the symetric key to just decrypt the password files in the backup and safe this way trouble.

The reason for that is security purposes as the plesk support told me. I am sorry, but i am too stupid to understand the sense in having the emails, databases and websitefiles in clear text and having the passwords of the email/mysql accounts encrypted. If you can access the data in the backup directly, noone needs the accounts passwords anyway. So protecting them is just useless ( in my humble, noob opinion ).

So i hope plesk will change this since the backup itself can be anyway password protected. And thats just the same security level like having the accountpasswords secured by a static symetric key. So having here a double security which only effects the user accounts and not the data itself is just good for giving the plesk users ( no matter if provider or endcustomers ) an extra work and stress and time to get back the stuff online in case of failure.

And another important issue: The backupstuff is extracted temporarily into /tmp and then deployed to the final destination.

That means if you have resellers / user accounts with ( multiple ) big databases or emailaccounts you should better have a huge /tmp ( in our case we would need 30/40 GB of /tmp ). Quiet evil in my personal opinion too.

I will try to recover the files with the new informations and update you. But i assume this information is already enough that you can try it and be successful.

Greetings
Oliver

Any news to it ?

And i'm using a external FTP Server for backup so i guess this means:

How to restore backups on the other server:
Backup exporting is required if you want to restore these backups on another server. Plesk creates backups in local repository with passwords encrypted by Plesk encryption key. Another Plesk has different encryption key, so these backups can't be restored. Exporting is the same operation as downloading backup from Plesk UI or uploading backup to FTP repository - it decrypts passwords and stores them in plain text.
Best practise in this case is to have external FTP repository and store backups on it. In case of disaster and full server unavailability it will allow you to restore backups on new Plesk Panel server with minimum time and business impact.

I can use my backup on a other Server or after a new installation with ne Version of Plesk and Debian ? Could someone from Plesk confirm this ? Or explain what will work and not ?! IGOR ?! :)

THX
Cheech

Hi,

if you backup you have to backup to ftp repository. Everything else will NOT work if your target system has not 1:1 the same plesk installation with same database content.

So the steps are:

1. Oldserver: Backup to ftp repository
2. New Server: COPY !!! From the ftp repository to local repository <--- this is MUST have
3. New Server at local repository you will be able to have some extra options to recreate reselleraccounts only and not the entire server

So the trick is, that you get extra options available if you let plesk copy the backup from ftp repository to local repository.

Greetings
Oliver

hm reseller accounts didn't help me , i have 15 domains hosted and ~100 email accounts ...

Has some one tried to upgrade from 11.0.9 to 12.0.18 ? At Debian Squeeze ? Or is this the same issue ? I try it on my old root server but with the 1st Plesk 12 version but this failed DNS Server was not working any more and other important services.

I ask due to end of the year i have to upgrade my system to Plesk 12 and Debian Wheezy , my idea was upgrade Plesk to 12 doing a backup, installing Debian 7 with Plesk 12 and re-install the backup again.

Cya
Cheech

Back