• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 11 to Plesk 12 upgrade failed, not accessible anymore

tw-dzgn

New Pleskian
Hello everyone,

I tried to make an update of Plesk from 11 to 12. Unfortunately the upgrade assistant doesn't check if the server is capable of this at all. I upgraded it, the installer threw some errors of packages which couldn't be installed/updated and afterwards the whole Plesk installation isn't working anymore. As i recognized later, the server is only running Debian 6 and Plesk 12 needs alt least Debian 7. Maybe because of this it failed the upgrade.

The websites running on this server still work, but plesk is not working anymore. I already tried
https://kb.plesk.com/de/122876 but also commands like "rpm" are not working. I have no idea what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone who can help me out with this? I need to repair/restore the old plesk version on this server so I can access plesk again.

Attached find the "parallels-installation-log", maybe this helps.

I'm pretty new to this, so if there is any information missing which could be helpfull I will try to provide it.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• parallels-installation-log.txt
    34.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi tw-dzgn,

please continue with commands over your command line:

Code:
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Your error:
Code:
E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
states clear, that the standard used commands from autoinstaller are not sufficient to finish the desired updates/upgrades, so you have to manual interfere in this procedure.

Please actually READ the output when using the above commands, so that you are sure not to remove any Plesk parts, before using the "y" - command to continue updates/upgrades. In case of any irritation, please consider to QUIT the actual apt-get command with "q", instead of just hitting enter/return. Afterwards, please come back to the forum and post your question ( including to copy&paste the output from the command line ), so that we might help you with answers and suggestions.

Hello UFHH01,

thanks for the quick response. I tried it again with your mentioned commands and got the attached outputs.
The output is in german, but I've seen you're located in germany, so you do understand the output?

In the procedure there were only packages updated or withholded in the first step, afterwards there were unauthenticated packages which I denied. Is it correct or shall I continue with the install of unauthenticated packages? Do I have to approve something with "--force-yes"? If so, do i write "y --force-yes"?

Sorry for maybe silly questions. Thanks again

Attachments

• command-line-output.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi tw-dzgn,

there is nothing wrong to continue with these upgrades. :)

In addition:
After your upgrades, please run Plesk autoinstaller again with:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base
If you experience issues with the Plesk autoinstaller ( because of your "old" Debian version ), consider to you use additional command string "--override-os-version 7.0" as for example:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --override-os-version 7.0 --reinstall-patch --install-component base

You could consider as well to use the "--help" - option, in order to see more usefull commands for the Plesk autoinstaller:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --help

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied the updates/upgrades again via apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, then used the autoinstaller. There were a few errors of "not found" sources, but the installer finished (see cmd-line-output-2.txt). Unfortunately it still isn't working.
Right now if I try to access the Plesk backend I'm getting an "Error: Zend_Db_Statement_Exception" (see attached screenshot).

Any ideas on this? Thank you!

Attachments

• cmd-line-output-2.txt
    96.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2016-03-31 09.40.31.png
    Screenshot 2016-03-31 09.40.31.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi tw-dzgn,

please note, that Plesk did not upgrade yet to version 12, as you can see in your logs ( still fetching Plesk files from "PSA_11.0.9" ). You can check your current version either over the Plesk Control Panel ( HOME - System Overview ), or by using the command "cat /usr/local/psa/version".

Please consider to start over with your upgrade and follow the Plesk Knowledge-Base article 116078:

I recommend an upgrade for your operating system before as well, so that you meet the desired Plesk compatibilty for Plesk 12.5. A Debian dist-upgrade from 6 to 7 is not complicated and mostly without much manual interence. :)

Thanks again. Plesk Version is 11.0.9.

I now tried to run the repair tool with /usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp11.0.9-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair and it failed when checking/repairing the database, because it seems that the upgrade assistant updated the database to version 012005030, but major files are still from 11.0.9.

So the next step could be to restore the previous db version (I think the upgrade assistant creates a database dump, before upgrading, right?)? If that could work, how can I do that?

An upgrade of Debian 6 could cause the loss of the running websites and is very complicated (this is what the server host told me).
Another question regarding a db restore: Are any databases of websites affected by a plesk db restore?

Attachments

• plesk_11.0.9_installation.log
    5.1 KB · Views: 2
(this is what the server host told me)

Sorry, but when I read such an answer from a hosting company or their support, I really am surprised, how they managed to get customers. :rolleyes: Consider to switch as soon as possible. ;)

(I think the upgrade assistant creates a database dump, before upgrading, right?)
From your last log, you can see what happens ( bootstrapper repair isn't much different in the procedure, than update/upgrade procedure )

Code:
Trying to backup MySQL database... done
MySQL databases are dumped to /var/lib/psa/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.11.0.9-11.0.9.20160331-143750.dump.gz

As you can see, Plesk dumps the files at: "/var/lib/psa/dumps/" and you will sure find all other dumps and backups there.

You might be interested, that the Plesk Knowledge-Base offers an enormous lot of solutions and tutorials, how to do this or that and describes as well several known issues/problems, even often enough in different languages. You could have found:

I recommend to do another bootstrapper - repair, after you restored the previous backup. :)

Finally everything is running again. I restored the last working version of the "psa" database, then ran the bootstrapper repair and it completed all changes without problems.
Now I will look for a new hosting company, with up-to-date software and OS.

Thanks for your help and patience on figuring out how to get it working again.

Back