• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.0 PHP 5.6 and WordPress

gbotica

Regular Pleskian
Hi All,

I've been testing the new "multiple PHP versions" now available for Plesk 12.0 and I've been having a couple of issues I thought I would share and see if anyone else is having the same experience.

Note: my server is CentOS 6.5 with Plesk 12.0.18 #51. I only host WordPress sites. I've adjusted the service plans to use PHP 5.6 and I've verified that this is working. I have not made any adjustments to PHP 5.6 config files or anything ... it's currently just "as-is" installed by the Plesk Installer.

1. WordPress plugin updates

On sites running PHP 5.6, if I update a plugin, the plugin updates appears to run fine, but the WP Admin still reports that the plugin needs updating. Presumably this is because of the OpCache in PHP 5.6

I note the existence of this plugin which is intended to circumvent this issue by providing an interface to flush the OpCache: https://wordpress.org/plugins/opcache/

This would seem to be a pretty serious issue when running WordPress with 5.6, I can't expect all my customers to install the above plugin and educate them about flushing the OpCache -- that's just not practical.

Is there some setting or configuration for PHP 5.6 / OpCache to resolve this? Is there a way to have OpCache detect file changes and then invalidate that file in the OpCache? Does anyone else have this problem?

I was told that the PHP 5.6 Opcache is completely transparent and shouldn't require any user management or interaction -- it should "just work" -- is this realistic? If not, then I just can't see how I can run 5.6 with WordPress, it would be unworkable as it currently is.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

FYI -- I have another WP site running on a Digital Ocean VPS with Server Pilot (Nginx, Apache, PHP 5.6) and I have no such problems -- when I update a plugin it shows as updated immediately.

2. 500 errors and the dreaded "Premature end of script headers"

This is only affecting some sites... on one site I get occasional Server 500 errors, but only in the WP Admin -- the front-end seems to work fine (although the same customer is reporting problems with WooCommerce order payments -- the payment goes through fine, but the WooCommerce order reports that the payment was cancelled - I'm suspicious that this is related.). I'll need to test this further to be sure.

Also, many of the sites running PHP 5.6 do have "premature end of script headers" in the error logs, although there does not appear to be any actual errors (500 or otherwise) in the WP Admin or front-end.

Anyone else getting "premature end of script headers" errors with Plesk 12.0 and PHP 5.6?

Thanks for your time, and thank you in advance for any help.

Back