• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk 12 and SELinux

PriyanA

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

Does Plesk 12 support SELinux?

Does it come with psa-selinux package/policies?

Regards,
Priyan A

Yes, This package modifies the SELinux predefined policies configurations to allow Plesk to perform its actions.

unfortunately this is not true for plesk 12.5 on centos 7.

running sestatus will reveal the horrible truth:

# sestatus
SELinux status: disabled

:(

Hi geegee,

to ENABLE SELinux ( with the predefined policies from your Plesk packages "psa-selinux" ) it is recommended to use the following steps:
Code:
vi /etc/sysconfig/selinux
... and change the settings for example "SELINUX=permissive". Afterwards, a "reboot" is required!

After the reboot, you would check for possible errors, as for example with:
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep "SELinux is preventing"
If you don't see any errors, the next step is to set:
Code:
... and change the settings to for example "SELINUX=enforcing". Another reboot is required!

If you need further help, pls. consider to read ( for CentOS 7 - based systems ): => https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...-to-selinux-on-centos-7-part-1-basic-concepts ( external link, pls. inform me when the link goes dead, so I can provide another working link! )

thank you for your response.

by the way, i am well aware how selinux works, thats not what i was talking about.

thing is that i was rather shocked to find out that plesk had disabled it.

still in 2016 a lot of linux tutorials and howto's start by advising to disable selinux because those folks have no clue what it is about and simply advise others to disable one of main security features. this stumps me..

so i was surprised that a fairly large player like plesk also disables SElinux...

either because plesk cant handle selinux or the the folks at plesk dont care about security or they dont know how to create policies for it.

whatever the reason... none of them are very assuring if you know what i mean...

on the other hand, maybe plesk runs fine..but the only way to find out is to try it i guess.

i will post my findings here if the are worth it.

Hi geegee,

to ENABLE SELinux ( with the predefined policies from your Plesk packages "psa-selinux" ) it is recommended to use the following steps:
Code:
... and change the settings for example "SELINUX=permissive". Afterwards, a "reboot" is required!

After the reboot, you would check for possible errors, as for example with:
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep "SELinux is preventing"
If you don't see any errors, the next step is to set:
Code:
... and change the settings to for example "SELINUX=enforcing". Another reboot is required!

If you need further help, pls. consider to read ( for CentOS 7 - based systems ): => https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...-to-selinux-on-centos-7-part-1-basic-concepts ( external link, pls. inform me when the link goes dead, so I can provide another working link! )
Does that applied to CloudLinux 7.2 also?

I have Plesk 12.5 with CentOS 7 in beginning which enabled SELinux. But I found that sestatus shown disabled after I migrated to CloudLinux. My /etc/sysconfig/selinux still configured SELINUX=enforcing but sestatus always show disabled.

It looks like the CloudLinux did not support SELinux, can you confirm this?

It looks like the CloudLinux did not support SELinux, can you confirm this?

Cross - posting: => http://old.cloudlinux.com/solutions/forum/forum12/topic1317/

Even that the Knowledge - Base - article might be not up-to-date ( I have no idea about their own policies ), they state ( => https://helpdesk.cloudlinux.com/ind...s-missing-from-cloudlinux-comparing-to-centos last updated: 03 April 2011 02:31 PM ):

We are trying to maintain very close compatibility to CentOS. Yet, due to some of our kernel changes following things will not work:
  • SELinux
  • Xen
  • NFS 2*
Additionally KVM virtualization wasn't properly tested, and might be broken as well.
Our goal is to restore SELinux functionality, and make sure KVM works.
* NFS 3 and later are supported

reporting back,

had selinux in permissive mode for over a month now and more than 60 different issues came up, some that would need custom policies to be generated but to my surprise also really trivial things that just can be fixed with setting a a boolean like httpd_can_network_connect.

this tells me that no effort was even made by the plesk to to support selinux?

strange.
settings bools is dead easy and even generating policies on the fly should be fairly easy to do.

i really dont get it.

Does anyone knows if the latest Onyx version (17.5.3 Update 11) works properly with SeLinux enabled on CentOS 7?

If yes, any KB article about this or any special recommendation when installing Onyx with SELinux enabled?

Thanks

Back