• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12 + Dovecot + IMAP IDLE (push) possible on iPhone?

Knarf

Basic Pleskian
I have set Dovecot as the IMAP/POP3 server, and in the "Administrator's Guide, Parallels Plesk 12.0" under Mail -> Using Other Mail Server Software I read:
"Dovecot supports pushing email through "IMAP IDLE" and optional "IMAP NOTIFY" protocol extensions."

Now I am wondering if it is possible to receive push e-mails on an iPhone / iPad and if so, how should I configure the e-mail?
When I setup a new account as "other" then afterwards there is no push function (only fetch or manual).
Do I need to use the "Exchange" option and when yes, how do I set this up?
I tried different settings with no luck so far.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
After reading more about subjects like Z-Push and ActiveSync I am wondering if this technology already is built in in Dovecot in Plesk 12.
Do I need to install addional software or is it easily to enable?
Is there someone who has IMAP push functionality working in Plesk 12, and how did you get it working?

Last edited:
IMAP is not being taken serious by vendors that have a competing technology (Apple, Microsoft, Google).
The client (your iPhone) has to support that extension.
It seems it doesn't. So there it stops.

Activesync has nothing to do with IMAP.

It's a Microsoft protocol that uses https over port 443 to connect to an Exchange server.
The protocol is more modern and is used to send & receive mail, contacts, calendar and tasks all over 1 port and is more straightforward to use than the SMTP/IMAP combo.
The protocol is also used to connect to Office365.

There are Exchange compatible servers for Linux.
It started with Exchange4Linux which became Zarafa.
In Plesk I'm now seeing promotion for an extension called Kolab.
I glanced it and believe it's another "Exchange 4 Linux". I don't know about the level of integration with Plesk.

It is a commercial package. I haven't examined it enough to know if it's worth while to add it.
We move clients that really need calendar/contacts and tasks to Office365.

Back