• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12 SMTP banner Mismatch - Critical to FIX

femotvaff

Regular Pleskian
Now with Plesk 12 (and I suppose all previous versions) we can't change the SMTP banner to something other than the hostname.

But If server host different IPs with different domains,only the primary IP do not have problems for email delivability all other domains are marked spam.

This is a critical issue for email deliverability. Very critical issue that should be solved asap.

the only solution that we found with our systemists is to remove Plesk, but sure it's not what I would like to do.

We know this.

This is ok for the main IP and the other IPs/domains ?
If you have a 16 cores server with 128GB ram why you can't host 5 different domains with different IPs without Spam problems, and without sent email with info related to the main IP?

The only solution seems to have 1 server for each domain ....even if this domain use zero resources.
it's a waste of money and resourses.

I think you are facing a much bigger SPAM problem than the speculation of SMTP banner being the cause.

There thousands of servers with just basic plesk installation and hosting hundreds of domain names on the respective servers, NOT facing the SPAM problem, the way you have stated it. (Inclusive of my company)

For stater I think your IPs have a bad SPAM reputation ..And if this is true, it really doesn't matter even if you are successful with the above configurations, your emails would still be flagged as SPAM.

BTW: When an email is flagged as SPAM, in the headers there are reasons why such an action was taken ..When you look at your headers, is that reason, really?

After 2 months of work and tests with different specialized systemists, the only thing that create problems seem the banner mismatching.

IPs have excellent reputation.
no IP or domains are in blacklist
SPF /DKMI are setted
PTR it's ok
and other 100 specific configuration issue was checked and tested

the only difference probably is that you server and other server with hundreds domains can share the hostname into the email header,
we cannot.

And we are not the only one with this problem...

https://plesk.uservoice.com/forums/...you-adapt-the-main-domain-name-of-an-ip-as-th

mstefanem commented · June 29, 2014 4:06 AM
"
after update 11.5 to Plesk 12... i have now 4 IPs in SPANLIST for rDNS FQDN error with plesk because it use server hostname for "smtp greetings" problem... and memberUI use a wrong IP if i do the second choice (multi-IP with site name for greeting)...

It's impossible to solve it without manually hack master.cf

please do a memberUI for have a correct choice and a working solution...

Thanks ?"

no the correct solution according to my tests and the mail-tester.com is to have the mail server greet you with the same hostname that rDNS is reporting otherwise HOTMAIL/OUTLOOK servers will think you are a spammer (most other server think this is OK)

here is a sample report
Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.
Reverse DNS lookup or reverse DNS resolution (rDNS) is the determination of a domain name that is associated with a given IP address.
Some companies such as AOL will reject any message sent from a server without rDNS, so you must ensure that you have one.
You cannot associate more than one domain name with a single IP address.

Your IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.64 is associated with the domain ip2.domain.com.
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from ip1.domain.com.

You may want to change your pointer (PTR type) DNS record and the host name of your server to the same value.

Here are the tested values for this check:
  • IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.64
  • HELO: ip1.domain.com
  • rDNS: ip2.domain.com

NOTE: "You cannot associate more than one domain name with a single IP address" so the settings in
>> Server-Wide Mail Settings > Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting
should be avoided if there is more than 1 domain per IP otherwise you can get reported as spammer

here is more reports of the same problem
Issue - Problem with reverse DNS (SMTP Banner)
Postfix and "Send from domain IP" options are ignored

PLESK team should seriously see this problem and sort it (at least give a workaround) otherwise webmaster are going to abandon ship as soon as they can

CSTAMAS is pointing to the right direction here
Postfix SMTP banner show multiple hostnames
but he is not using plesk
plesk /etc/postfix/master.cf will not allow these settings I THINK

Last edited:
ok perhaps I am wrong and there is a solution ... why does n't PLESK offer it already ?!!!

I am going to look at your examples now

your examples are too complicated for me and they involve certificates (which I don't use)

perhaps someone can explain how I can solve the problem I presented on my previous post

can you please take CERTIFICATES out of the examples so they can be easier to read

my port is 587 thanks

Last edited:
I guess I should be using this or it will not work ?

# ======================================================================================
# Special hostname configurations to fit SMTP banner - port 587
# ======================================================================================
localhost:submission inet n - - - - smtpd
-o smtp_helo_name=YOUR-MAIN-DOMAIN-FOR-YOUR-MAIN-IP.COM
-o myhostname=mail.YOUR-MAIN-DOMAIN-FOR-YOUR-MAIN-IP.COM

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX(MAIN-IP-ON-YOUR-SERVER):submission inet n - - - - smtpd
-o smtp_helo_name=YOUR-MAIN-DOMAIN-FOR-YOUR-MAIN-IP.COM
-o myhostname=mail.YOUR-MAIN-DOMAIN-FOR-YOUR-MAIN-IP.COM

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX(SECOND-IP-ON-YOUR-SERVER):submission inet n - - - - smtpd
-o smtp_helo_name=YOUR-MAIN-DOMAIN-FOR-YOUR-SECOND-IP.COM
-o myhostname=mail.YOUR-MAIN-DOMAIN-FOR-YOUR-SECOND-IP.COM

Hi Giorgos Kontopoulos,

I suggest to read some more at the corresponding threads and the given solutions, as my recommendations work as expected without any issues/errors/problems. :)
In addition, it can not harm your system, if you test it on YOUR server... just make sure to do a decent backup of all your modified files, so that you are able to restore them in case of ( possible ) issues/errors/problems due to typing/configuration mistakes. ;)

Your suggestion does not help

still the question remains

when is PLESK official PLESK team I mean going to FIX THIS LONG STANDING PROBLEM ?

Last edited:
Your suggestion does not help

still the question remains

when is PLESK official PLESK team I mean going to FIX THIS LONG STANDING PROBLEM ?
I have no reason to "fix" my problem as it is incorrect to suppose you're a spammer.

You could even be right that Microsoft is doing so, although I also think that a correct DMARC, DKIM, SPF will overrule that.
Anyhow it of course makes it easier for the recipient and it may give you an extra brownie.

Beware that many anti-spam measures are just desperate solutions and often they go far beyond what is correct.
I've seen anti-spam solutions look in the mail header for IP's that are on DNSBL's.
That's plain wrong, but it still is done.
I even called one of those "services" why they are stopping clearly legitimate mails for clients that are desperate for that mail and they still think they can get away by saying that one of the servers in the chain has a name that's on their list. That's censorship.

But I think the fix is easy.
Postfix can handle different HELO's for different IP's. You even pointed me to the site to do that, so I don't know what's stopping you to implement it.

Just add the -o with the helo to each IP in master.cf and restart postfix.

I can even test it for you on my server and write the changes down for you, but that will be a thing for tomorrow.
Typing this on the phone.

Hint... Port 587 is for incoming authenticated mail. You could do that too, but it's the outgoing connection to port 25

Last edited:
Although my server had no problems without this change in /etc/postfix/master.cf , I did this anyway....

Merely add the "-o smtp_helo_name=helo.name.com" to all the all the alternate IP's in your master.cf and these will be used instead of the servername that's defined in Plesk.
This is tested by checking the mail headers on the recipient.

This thread has become a cross-post and it would be easier to continue here:

Resolved - Problem with reverse DNS (SMTP Banner)

Back