• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 7,6 - Web Hosting

M

mysticBoer

Good day, I recently got a new dedicated server from www.meganetserve.com. Their service has been amazing, and response to support calls extremely fast. They are, unfortunately, not a web hosting company, but a large scale dedicated hosting company, so my questions about plesk, web hosting, etc is not meant for their support...

I have a few questions though that I need to ask, seeing that I am new to the hosting scene.

Question 1:
My domain, e.g example.com, is currently administered by UK2.net. My hosting expires with them at the end of the month so I want to transfer my website to my own server. What does this all intail??In detail if possible?:rolleyes:

Question 2:
What is the hierarchical nature of plesk? Is a client also a reseller (this is how I understand it at the moment)

Question 3:
If my domain is www.example.com, how will I set up nameservers like ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com? Seeing that I want to provide hosting to clients, I need to be able to do this...

I hope to have a reply from anyone here soonest...

Thanx...

Question 1:
My domain, e.g example.com, is currently administered by UK2.net. My hosting expires with them at the end of the month so I want to transfer my website to my own server. What does this all intail??In detail if possible?:rolleyes:

Judging by the question, you are at the beginning of a long journey, but a fruitful one nonetheless. I am by no means an expert, but I'll try to help.

First, a domain name is registered to you through a Registrar. This is where you purchased or transferred your domain name. UK2.net may act as a host and registrar.

If you want to change hosts, you need to change your nameserver settings at the registrar. Check with your online support how to do this. The changeover will take 24-48 hours to update through the zone servers throughout the world so give yourself some time.

Question 2:
What is the hierarchical nature of plesk? Is a client also a reseller (this is how I understand it at the moment)

Don't know exactly what you're asking, but a client can be a direct customer or one of your resellers depending on your business model. I do not resell hosting, so I don't have the answers for this.

Question 3:
If my domain is www.example.com, how will I set up nameservers like ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com? Seeing that I want to provide hosting to clients, I need to be able to do this...

You setup nameservers through a Registrar. You have to have the IP addresses of your dedicated server through MegaNetServe in order to do this. Login to your registrar for support on how to register nameservers for your domain.

Hope I was able to help a little.

Thanks, yes you did, albeit a bit late, I found out quite a lot of about this stuff in the last few days. Actually quite interesting how it all fits together, e.g DNS, I never thought of DNS being such an integral part of the internet, however, it seems that that a simple request for www.google.com leads you, more often than not, through a miriad of DNS/nameservers

Thanks for your thorough reply though, much apprectiated...

Back