• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8.6 on Windows 2008 Modifies the website's Web.config file

M

MobileNow

Hi All,
I've got an issue that I'm dealing with and I was wondering if any other people out there were dealing with it.

We've recently started deploying Windows 2008 servers with Plesk 8.6 on them. The problem that we are running into is that Plesk 8.6 will make modifications to our customer's web.config files which will corrupt them and cause their website to stop functioning. When modifying any of the hosting settings, Plesk will clear out any web.config entries that are located in configuration/System.webserver/handlers and replace it with a whole bunch of "Plesk_Handler" nodes. This is causing major issues for our customers since many of our customers websites rely on entries in the system.webserver node that are getting overwritten by plesk.

Does anybody have any suggestions or know how to make plesk on Windows 2008 store the webserver settings in the webserver's ApplicationHost.xml file (metabase replacement) as opposed to the individual sites' web.config file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tony V.

Hi All,
I've got an issue that I'm dealing with and I was wondering if any other people out there were dealing with it.

We've recently started deploying Windows 2008 servers with Plesk 8.6 on them. The problem that we are running into is that Plesk 8.6 will make modifications to our customer's web.config files which will corrupt them and cause their website to stop functioning. When modifying any of the hosting settings, Plesk will clear out any web.config entries that are located in configuration/System.webserver/handlers and replace it with a whole bunch of "Plesk_Handler" nodes. This is causing major issues for our customers since many of our customers websites rely on entries in the system.webserver node that are getting overwritten by plesk.

Does anybody have any suggestions or know how to make plesk on Windows 2008 store the webserver settings in the webserver's ApplicationHost.xml file (metabase replacement) as opposed to the individual sites' web.config file?

-Tony V.

Hello Tony,

Actually Plesk does not overrides 3rd party extensions which have not been supported by Plesk but overrides supported according to Hosting settings.
If Plesk will not control web.config then it will not control Hosting management permissions. We cannot change this behavior.

I have the same problem using Plesk 8.4
Every time I create a new application via virtual directory of even ftp the main application to the site at one point or another the web config file of the main site gets overwritten. I have replaced the web config file again via ftp but that messed up the Plesk control panel for virtual directories.
This is our application and not a supported/registered Plesk application. I don't understand what I have to look for to prevent that.

Jorg

I have the same problem using Plesk 8.4
Every time I create a new application via virtual directory of even ftp the main application to the site at one point or another the web config file of the main site gets overwritten. I have replaced the web config file again via ftp but that messed up the Plesk control panel for virtual directories.
This is our application and not a supported/registered Plesk application. I don't understand what I have to look for to prevent that.

Jorg

Hello Jorg,

Thank you for the report.
We will fix the issue as soon as possible.

Hi All,

-Tony V.

Hello Tony,

It is really our fault. Thank you for the help. The issue will be fixed as soon as possible.

I appreciate that you want to be vague becuase its not included in Plesk 9.0 (otherwise you would have said it was) but this is a major fault in Plesk, and us as consumers can not be expected to offer your product with a star next to it on our website saying
** Note - this product only works if you dont use .Net!

That would get us all laughed out of the industry, and I am some what concerned and shocked that you are not treating this as a little more high priority. You should not and can not be modifying customer files that you did not provide with out their permission or consent. To do so is a travesty and in some countries is a crime.

Ya. i agree. It is _extremely_ frustrating for our users because they can't simply download their site to their local machine and expect it to work. I love Plesk, but honestly, I wish we would have never set up a 2008 box at all.

People host on windows for .NET mostly. With out it there is no question of offering a windows hosting.

I'm really glad that Parallels is taking this seriously. This really needs to be addressed before Plesk 9.0 comes out. It is pretty much impossible to run many ASP.NET apps on Plesk 8.6.0.4 with Windows 2008 because Plesk screws up the web.config file.

Oh, and make it so that people can change their App Pool to be either Legacy or Integrated mode. Many older ASP.NET apps don't like integrated.

Thanks Sergius.

Do you have an ETA on when these features and fixes will be implemented? We've had to put all 2008 servers on hold until these issues are resolved.

Thanks Sergius.

Do you have an ETA on when these features and fixes will be implemented? We've had to put all 2008 servers on hold until these issues are resolved.

Tony,

1. the bugfix about web.config is scheduled for 9.0.1 - please keep eyes on Parallels web site for release announcement next year.
2. the feature about pool classic mode is not scheduled for a certain milestone yet.

Ya'll should really backport that bugfix into 8.6.0. It pretty much makes 8.6.0 useless on windows 2008 without it.

This is a sad joke. Sergius, stop fooling the guys here.
A lot of times you forget about bugs that were reported (some of them very important) and keep asking us to wait for a stupid patch.

Hi,

Is there any progress on this problem ?? We cant give windows 2008 hosting service to our customers because of this problem. Also we cannot migrate our plesk servers from 8.6 to 9.0 because your own products, Plesk Expand and PBAS 3.3 is not supporting Plesk 9.0 yet. We need a solution for 8.6 . Tell me what to do :(

Best regards
Tarkan

Hi,

Is there any progress on this problem ?? We cant give windows 2008 hosting service to our customers because of this problem. Also we cannot migrate our plesk servers from 8.6 to 9.0 because your own products, Plesk Expand and PBAS 3.3 is not supporting Plesk 9.0 yet. We need a solution for 8.6 . Tell me what to do :(

Best regards
Tarkan

How come Plesk 9 is not supported by Plesk Expand ?
I asked the support team if Expand is supported and they are very convinced that Plesk 9 is supported.
My god, what a bunch of lusers. Stop working with idiots Parallels, or are you all the same ?
TarkanVeKurdu, I suggest that you keep an eye on the forums, I am sure they are all working very very hard to fix a stupid bug that can be fixed by a 5 yesr old in less then 1 hour.

By the way, I stated this before, Plesk 9 is an alfa release even if they claim it's a final release (they have no ideea what they are talking about). I can hardly wait to see the Parallels summit and laff some more.
You should wait for the beta at least and I am not sure that 9.0.1 will be beta, they are still fixing useless things.

Back