• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8 Unveiled

W

webadmin

SWsoft Previews Plesk 8.0 for Linux/Unix Control Panel with Custom Desktop

Most Significant Upgrade in Two Years with New Customizable Templates, Domain Aliases, Backup Utility Module and More Available at the End of March 2006

Herndon, VA - March 13, 2006 - Today, SWsoft (www.swsoft.com), an established leader in server automation and virtualization software, previewed Plesk 8.0 for Linux/Unix control panel. With more than 40 new features, Plesk 8.0 represents a major upgrade for hosting providers, resellers and end users. General availability is expected by the end of March 2006.

Plesk 8.0 for Linux/Unix delivers an important new custom desktop capability to give administrators and end users significantly more control and convenience. Additional feature highlights include customizable interface templates, domain aliases, improved Virtuozzo integration, updated backup utility, integrated Acronis True Image module, enhanced system monitoring and a more efficient auto installer.

"We are very excited to announce Plesk 8.0 for Linux/UNIX as a major milestone in our company's roadmap," said Kurt Daniel, vice president of marketing and alliances, SWsoft. "Plesk 8.0 raises the standard for hosting automation with important new capabilities which come together to deliver maximum usability, integration and availability. With the new Desktop feature, control panel users can for the first time quickly and easily create a personalized, task-oriented dashboard for functions they care about most."

"Plesk already had an easy-to-use interface, but with the new Desktop feature we're able to offer another level of satisfaction for our users; they can now use custom interface templates to view what's important to them," said Joe McMillen, CEO, Cari.net (www.Cari.net). "Plesk 8.0 also goes one step further by offering unique backup tools and an improved autoinstaller that will help make our installation and upgrades faster and easier in our datacenter."

I`m bored of waiting for this version.
Previous information about date of release was the end od the Februray....
Hope that this waiting will be a prize for us, but I still see that Windows versions are promoted more than Linux.

Originally posted by Q6511200
Hope that this waiting will be a prize for us, but I still see that Windows versions are promoted more than Linux.

Q6511299 you are damned right.

God give strength to the first users will install the plesk 8. I will wait a bugless version.

PHP SUExec?
Are disk/bandwidth quotas actually enforced?
Does the application vault update more than every 2 months?
Does the firewall not **** anymore?
How about that watchdog 2....
Oh, but I see you have a pretty Plesk Desktop now. Thanks guys!

Edit: Oh yeah, OSX Support, Really WTF were you guys thinking?

I'll wait for everyone else to beta test this, but what really caught my attention was the post about microsoft.

I know with VZ3 out and plesk 8 soon for linux, but are us "*nix" guys getting the short end of the stick?

I'm just curious as I'm not an uber programmer, is it easier to release good windows server products than the current nix offerings?

I'm a linux only host and feel a little ripped of by SWsoft's attention to Microsoft BS.. Please let me know if I'm wrong ;)

I haven't been on the swsoft forum in a while.... I hope plesk 8 for *nix is as good as it sounds. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, OSX Support, Really WTF were you guys thinking? [/B]

Seriously, they most likely wasted their time developing for OSX! It'll probably get about the same amount of support for BSD :(

lame...

PS... I am freakin excited about plesk 8, I just can't seem to understand where they are going with even more OSes and the Sitebuilder still doesn't have an autoupdater, for example, the OSX dudes should've set up the sitebuilder autoupdate function! Or something useful..

I'm ranting, I'll stop now ;)

Originally posted by poke
Seriously, they most likely wasted their time developing for OSX! It'll probably get about the same amount of support for BSD :(

lame...

Marketing, managers... You know.

Originally posted by voodoochile
PHP SUExec?

You're sooooo negative, did You miss they will include the long awaited feature "Welcome screen" ! ;)

i doubt they will ever do a thing right.

always they advertise their awesome new features, which NONE OF THEM is awesome at all, i think we will never get a release worth of amazement from SW-Soft.

PHP SUExec?

Absolutly right, what about those things? what about awstats, what about all the stuff placed on the "http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21648"

man we dont need OSX support, we need OTHER REALLY USEFULL STUFF, why dont you hear us?

about the MS BS, well what can you do about such a big money maker as uncle bill?.

well dont want to start a discussion about this, so i'll leave it as it is right now.

OSX

Lay off the OSX addition, people.

I for one will be moving my many Plesk servers to OSX, as the OS is much more stable, the hardware is bulletproof, and the support is fantastic. No viruses, bugs, less issues, etc.

Plus, my XServers look great.

I'm glad they listened.

One other guy

Actually, I think there is one other guy.

Oh wait, no, he moved to Linux. ;)

Beta test

Fortunatly we bought a server just for testing plesk and sitebuilder upgrades... so i can upgrade the day it comes out...

I'll keep you informed

PHP SUExec?
Seems they really do not care a lot about the wishes of the (Linux) users :( what are actually the useful changes?

This is more a technical upgrade to bring Plesk in line with Virtuozzo, so everything works better with their openfusion plan.

I guess the next one will be more feature driven.

There's a lot of the back-end stuff has been re-written to improve it, a lot of bugs fixed, and I do actually like the new desktops system as it reduces time required to perform a lot of actions. Additional features will come throughout the 8.x series. I'm happy with the release.

Originally posted by PixyPumpkin
So you would sugest to upgrade to Plesk 8? ;)

Not initially, but once they iron out some of the bugs. I've tested the platform quite a lot over the past month or so and I'm very satisfied with it.

Back