• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 9.2 on a win2k server to plesk 9.3 on Cent os

J

Jsawyer

Recently I have been building a lot of sites using PHP and have been very disappointed in the server performance from my current host. I have decided to move to another provider virtual server provider. During this move I have also decided to go with a Linux server to try to get away from the performance issues associated with the Windows server. My questions are:

1) can I migrate from the windows server to Linux easily ( all current databases use MYSQL server and there are 22 clients)?
2) What is the best practice for migration?

Last edited by a moderator:
For mail at least, check out imapsync. It works just like rsync, but uses the IMAP protocol

I am not as worried about the mail as I just host sites.

I have created the backup file for the windows(1.13GB) server, but when trying to upload it to the new server It times out. I can FTP it to the new server but I have some questions.

1) The file from the windows server is .zip not a tgz file. is that ok?
2) Do I just upload the file to the dump directory or do I need to extract all the files to the dump directory?

any help will be appreciated.

TIA
Josh

That sounds like possibly firewall rules. As a debugging step, try clearing your rules with:

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

and try to ftp the file again. To your latter question, .zip is fine, at most you'll just need to install unzip to extract it.

That sounds like possibly firewall rules. As a debugging step, try clearing your rules with:

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

and try to ftp the file again. To your latter question, .zip is fine, at most you'll just need to install unzip to extract it.

I can FTP I just cant use the upload function from the GUI in plesk. I think the file may be too large for that.

Once I upload the file I will extract everything to the dump directory correct? From there should I see the files in the plesk gui?

Thank you
Josh

Back