• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk admin can't change MySQL password

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi @ all ,

Since a few weeks I use Plesk panel editor, in panel I made only 1. change (4096 for ssl) which has nothing to do with database usage at all.

This good support thread by @UFHH01 is the right one but it's more necessary if a password is already set before. In my case I think the root pw is used for MySql. I can only change it after setting one first or activating the whole function.
Help would be great.

Changing MySQL PW.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

First, sorry, stupid question is. Why can't I change nor set a password via Plesk Panel like described in Plesk docus?
Which official description at the documentation are you referencing, please?

In my case I think the root pw is used for MySql
Correct. The user "admin" has the very same password setup, as the user "root", which is done within your Plesk installation. This means as well, that the MySQL - password for the user "admin" is as well the very same password. ;)

I can only change it after setting one first or activating the whole function.
Pls. RE-READ the suggestions from your mentioned thread and you will find as well:

... which should answer all your ( possible ) related questions.

Which official description at the documentation are you referencing, please?
English Changing Database Administrator's Credentials
German Ändern der Zugangsdaten des Datenbankadministrators

*** edit *** @UFHH01 thanks for the link you gave me, but there is no need to get retrieve a temporary or new Plesk password. But it's great for user who are not familiar with it. I wondered about the (now) removed option in Onyx changing MySQL password apart from Plesk password.
Your link explains the informations well with additional informations. Great.

Greets and thanks

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

Except for the situations described below, you cannot change the credentials through Plesk
If you have changed the administrator's credentials on the database server, it is necessary to change them in Plesk as well.

But which is most important:
Note: In most cases, updating the credentials through Plesk does not change them on the database server.

Yes, that's exactly what I edited in my last post. :)
And your last "Note" it's also very useful and important to know.

Back