• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Auto-Updater fails when using NAS for Plesk Backups

gbotica

Regular Pleskian
I have a NAS mount which I use for my Plesk backups - this works fine for user and admin scheduled Plesk backups, but whenever the Plesk Auto-installer runs it attempts to CHOWN the MySQL preupgrade backup and fails with a permissions error:

Code:
chown: changing ownership of `/media/nas/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.12.0.18-12.0.18.20150926-222125.dump.gz': Permission denied
tac: write error
tac: write error

The daily MySQL dumps work fine (i.e. mysql.daily.dump.n.gz), it's just the pre-upgrade backups that fail because of the CHOWN command, which won't work on the mounted NAS share.

Why is the Plesk installer trying to CHOWN this file anyway? All files in the /psa/dumps/ directory are set as root / root, so I don't understand why the Plesk installer is attempting to CHOWN -- could this be a bug?

Thanks.

I don't understand why the Plesk installer is attempting to CHOWN -- could this be a bug?
It is not bug - it is hardcoded in Plesk by design many years and we are not going to change this behaviour because of many internal dependences.
Therefore I can only suggest you review your mount options for allowing chown.

It is not bug - it is hardcoded in Plesk by design many years and we are not going to change this behaviour because of many internal dependences.
Therefore I can only suggest you review your mount options for allowing chown.
Thank you for the response.

I have still been trying to get this to work, but so far no luck -- perhaps a cifs NAS mount simply won't work as the Plesk backups directory?

My fstab entry is now:

//nas.server.domain/WPNXXX /media/nas/ cifs username=XXXX,password=XXXXXXXX,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm,network,uid=0,gid=0 0 0

But still the result is the same. Plesk Panel backups run fine, but Plesk installer updates which run a pre-update backup fail when it tries to CHOWN the backup. I thought that the 'noperm' option might fix this. The file_mode and dir_mode settings seem to have no effect (I realise setting these to 0777 is not a great idea, but have done so temporarily to see if it resolves the problem).

Do you have any advice to offer for my mount options to get this to work?

Thanks.

@IgorG

Can you offer any advice on getting this CIFS mount to work for Plesk backups AND the Plesk installer backups? Currently, I've had to disable auto-updates, and periodically switch back to a local PSA_DUMPS directory, run Plesk updates and then switch back.

Back