• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk backup can not Dump databases MariaDB 10.6.7

LTUser

Regular Pleskian
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
MariaDB 10.6.7
Plesk 18.0.42

Backup Error:

"Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 2: WARNING: Forcing protocol to TCP due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol. mysqldump: Got error: 1130: "Host '127.0.0.1' is not allowed to connect to this MariaDB server" when trying to connect"

If "skip_name_resolve" is set in mariadb.cnf

In /var/log/mysql/error.log:
"[Warning] Access denied for user 'admin'@'127.0.0.1' (using password: YES)"

So should i have 2 accounts for User "admin"? One for "localhost" and one for "127.0.0.1"?

So with this bind-adress = :: the same error occurs if "skip_name_resolve" is activated

BackupWarning:
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 2: WARNING: Forcing protocol to TCP due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol. mysqldump: Got error: 2002: "Can't connect to server on 'localhost' (115)" when trying to connect

So i have to stop "skip_name_resolve". :(
That must be an bug/error in plesk and "state intended protocol"

Not a bug, very simple MariaDB user permissions management. If you want to run it with AND without skip_name_resolve, you need to duplicate the "admin" user dataset and provide both, IP address in one and localhost name in the other permissions dataset. I would not do that, though, it creates unnecessary confusion.

very simple MariaDB user permissions management.
This has only been the case since MariaDB 10.6.x, before that, i.e. with MariaDB 10.5.x, I never had such problems with the Plesk backup and MariaDB.

Of course I won't create new users, you're right.
Then I'd better just leave NameResolve enabled in MariaDB.

The reason is that since MariaDB version 10.6.x, the "bind-address" directive in the my.cnf file expects the different syntax for localhost or wildcard binding. The previously allowed syntax "bind-address = ::ffff:127.0.0.1" is not allowed any longer. This is not a Plesk problem, but by design by MariaDB.

I got this error message with the plesk migrator:

"stderr: WARNING: Forcing protocol to TCP due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol.
mysqldump: Got error: 1045: "Access denied for user 'admin'@'127.0.0.1' (using password: YES)" when trying to connect"

had tried with bind-address = :: without success.

# Broken reverse DNS slows down connections considerably and name resolve is
# safe to skip if there are no "host by domain name" access grants
#skip-name-resolve

last configuration is that.

why it doesn't work source and destination server are mariadb 10.6.8

i've never seen this error message before.

it's true you need both mariadb / mysql admin user in plesk.

admin@localhost

AND

[email protected]

got the plesk migration one step forward. this problem is solved.

Only one admin mysql user exists per default.

Not a bug, very simple MariaDB user permissions management. If you want to run it with AND without skip_name_resolve, you need to duplicate the "admin" user dataset and provide both, IP address in one and localhost name in the other permissions dataset. I would not do that, though, it creates unnecessary confusion.
Very useful reply, however the case is that everything works with plesk, wp and every app with skip_name_resolve=1 excep tthe backup and migration, is not it strange? @Peter Debik

I'm running into the same error after setting up a new server and migrating from an old one.
MariaDB 10.6.12

After backup the backup log has one entry for every domain with an active MySQL database:

Code:
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 2: WARNING: Forcing protocol to  TCP  due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol.
mysqldump: Got error: 2002: "Can't connect to server on 'localhost' (115)" when trying to connect

I have already made the following changes:

bind-address = ::
skip-name-resolve = 0

And I already added a second admin User with the hostname 127.0.0.1, so there is an admin User for every one of these hostnames:
localhost

I restarted mysql and the backup process several times, but I still get those messages. Everything else is running smoothly, so there has to be a problem with how backup is getting those dumps.

@KCTT, please check your /etc/my.cnf file again. There is a separate section for [mysqldump], probably there are other settings in there or settings missing.

I'm running into the same error after setting up a new server and migrating from an old one.
MariaDB 10.6.12

After backup the backup log has one entry for every domain with an active MySQL database:

Code:
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 2: WARNING: Forcing protocol to  TCP  due to option specification. Please explicitly state intended protocol.
mysqldump: Got error: 2002: "Can't connect to server on 'localhost' (115)" when trying to connect

I have already made the following changes:

skip-name-resolve = 0

And I already added a second admin User with the hostname 127.0.0.1, so there is an admin User for every one of these hostnames:
localhost

I restarted mysql and the backup process several times, but I still get those messages. Everything else is running smoothly, so there has to be a problem with how backup is getting those dumps.
bind address = 127.0.0.1

You can simply add one.
I know but what would be the reason for it
10.6 mariadb comparing to 10.5 has the diference that skip name resolve should be disabled and bind address to be :: or 127.0.0.01 (in case where there is no 2nd admin @127.0.0.1 is created).
Skip name resolve diasb;ed is a performance case but can not have it all :)

Thanks to you both. But I still could not resolve the problem. Setting something like that

Code:
[mysqldump]
skip-name-resolve = 0

or

Code:
[mysqldump]
bind-address = 127.0.0.1
skip-name-resolve = 0

or

Code:
[mysqldump]
skip-name-resolve = 0

in e.g. /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-mysql-clients.cnf gives me errors like this:

Code:
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 7: mysqldump: unknown variable 'skip-name-resolve=0'
Code:
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 7: mysqldump: unknown variable 'bind-address=0'

Back