• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Backup - Extract or browse?!

albans

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I'm trying to restore some files via the Plesk 8 restore utility /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore.

I make a monthly full server backup via the following command:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all /root/ftpbackup/dump-file-month-year

I don't need a full server-wide restore, and not even a domain-wide restore... I just need to restore two files of about 20kB.

So, is it possible to restore only those two files? Or is it simply possible to extract the content of the dump somewhere on the server or on a client machine?

I already read the docs at http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.0/Doc/plesk-8-backup-restore-users-guide/index.htm , but nothing's really usefull...

Any ideas? Thanks!

I have the same question for v7.5.4 I want to upgrade to v8 and a user who has now his own server, I want to send him a dump file for his account.
But if the files aren't extractable that hasn't much use :s

Boooooh, Plesk backup utility's really shitty...
From SWSoft support:
"Unfortunately, there is no such a possibility in Plesk to restore domains only if the backup has been created without --domains option."

I finally looked a bit more to the backup file...

The "file" command shows it was a gzip file. So I renamed it to mybackufilename.gz and could decompress it...

After that, it looks like an XML file with mime-encoded binaries... But really shitty to recover files.

SO, FORGET ABOUT PLESK BACKUP TOOLS, it's only usefull to recover a full server...

Originally posted by albans
I finally looked a bit more to the backup file...

The "file" command shows it was a gzip file. So I renamed it to mybackufilename.gz and could decompress it...

After that, it looks like an XML file with mime-encoded binaries... But really shitty to recover files.

SO, FORGET ABOUT PLESK BACKUP TOOLS, it's only usefull to recover a full server...

bah was affraid of that ....

I found usefull to perform a full psa dump, full tar of /var/www directory and full mysql dump using the following script (which upload everything via FTP):

/root/ftpbackup/ftpbackup.sh
PHP:
#!/bin/sh

tdy=`date +%d%m%Y`
mysqluser="admin"
mysqlpass="_thePassword_"

cd /root/ftpbackup

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all  /root/ftpbackup/dump-$tdy-PSA
tar -cvf /root/ftpbackup/dump-$tdy-WWW.tar /var/www
mysqldump -u$mysqluser -p$mysqlpass --all-databases > dump-$tdy-MySQL.sql
gzip dump-$tdy-MySQL.sql
gzip dump-$tdy-WWW.tar