• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk backup / restore best practice

P

pstechnology

I have taken a full backup of my Plesk 8.2.1 server using the command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup all /var/backup/fullbackup.bak

I now have a large file containing all my Plesk data, right?

So, according to the Plesk Backup and restore guide, when I restore I need to create a map file. Should this be done after creating the backup file so that the 2 can be kept together for future use, or is the map file something that is relevant to the time of the restore only?

When I create the map file anyway, I get a very lengthy message

[root@1234 backup]# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --create-map /var/backu p/fullbackup-.bak -map /var/backup/fullbackupmap.bak
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/share/supervisor/processor.py", line 84, in getStat us
return (None, self.realGetStatus())
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/share/supervisor/processor.py", line 438, in realGe tStatus
info = dump_format.readInfo(fh)
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/lib/python/dump_format.py", line 432, in readInfo
xml.sax.parse(fp, i)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/__init__.py", line 31, in parse
parser.parse(filename_or_stream)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/expatreader.py", line 109, in parse
xmlreader.IncrementalParser.parse(self, source)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/xmlreader.py", line 123, i n parse
self.feed(buffer)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/expatreader.py", line 220, in feed
self._err_handler.fatalError(exc)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/handler.py", line 38, in f atalError
raise exception
SAXParseException: /var/backup/restore/dump-plesk.xml:8616:86: not well-formed ( invalid token)

Secondly...

I thought I would be clever and create a text file containing names of domains I want to backup. I then use the command:

/use/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup domains /var/backup/domains.bak -f=/var/backup/domainlist.txt

This fails with a messaage saying it cannot find the domains /var/backup/domains.bak.

I have tried switching the parameters around to no avail.

Does anyone have any pointers to these issues, or if i am tacking this in the wrong way.

Many thanks :)

Back