• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Backups to server repository and FTP repository?

Matt Grant

Regular Pleskian
Under 9.5.4 I could do nightly backups and it would save a copy to the server repo and the FTP repo. Now in 10.4.4 I only goes to one or the other. Is there a way to make it goto both places?

I had to restore a client's website last night and it was a pain because the backups were on the FTP server and had to be downloaded and extracted to the server repo to let the client do the restore. Why would they take this functionality out of 10? I would like clients to be able to restore their own sites, but because I have the backups going to the FTP server, they have no way to access them unless I SSH in and download the backup and extract it.

Anyone?

Matt, the idea is once a backup file is uploaded to the FTP respitory, it gets deleted from the respitory to save on your HDD storage. Otherwise, it would be just a matter of time before your HDDs are FULL with backups using almost all the storage!

If you would like to explore more about the extra backup storage settings, go to Tools & Settings -> Backup Settings ->

And if that does not work for you, then alternatively you can just create 2 backup schedules, one to the FTP server resp while the second one to the local server resp.

Thanks for your response! Where can I setup a second schedule? I only see a way to create one scheduled backup. The disk space is not an issue if I keep it setup to hold 5 days of backups like I do on the FTP. I would like to have it setup so that it doesn't delete the local backup after it FTP's up? I know this is how it was with 9.5.4.

Edit the backup cron Job file:

vim /etc/cron.d/plesk-backup-manager

And in it add the second line based on your cron specifics:
By default you will find the one you set in Plesk, like this:

8,23,38,53 * * * * root [ -x /opt/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng ] && /opt/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng >/dev/null 2>&1

That runs every Saturday 23hrs. You can edit the days accordingly ...

Details here:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=260889

Ok, I am looking at the cron job and his is what I have...

12,27,42,57 * * * * root [ -x /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng ] && /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng >/dev/null 2>&1

It is set to run every night at 12:45am for a complete server backup. I changed the backups to go to the server via the Plesk CP and expected the syntax to change on the cron job, but it is the same. I would like to backup locally first at 12:45am and then backup to FTP at 1:45am daily. I even changed the time to start the backup an hour later in the CP and the syntax has not changed on the cron entry.

If I add this to my cron job

12,27,42,57 * * * * root [ -x /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng ] && /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng >/dev/null 2>&1

Isn't it going to run the same job twice? Where do I change the syntax to tell one to stay local and one to go up to the FTP?

Thanks in advance!

Back