• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk crashed while saving firewall rules

danlalonde

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian
Hello

Yesterday evening, I added a custom rule in the Firewall section of our Plesk install (blocking port 106 so nothing special) and while it was saving it crashed. Since then, none of the websites on the server are accessible nor is the Plesk admin. In other words, I'm stuck using recovery mode on the server and I'm not sure where to go from there especially since I don't really know what the issue is. I haven't used Plesk a lot in my life nor Debian so I'm a little lost as to what I can do.

Does anyone have any idea of what happened or what I could try?

Thank you!

Are you able to uninstall the Plesk firewall when running in recovery mode using # plesk installer remove --components psa-firewall?

I suspect you might have been locked out from accessing your own server.

I remember I once removed iptables rules because I thought I can add them afterwards again, not considering that with the remove I'd also be blocked from accessing the server immediately. We don't know what happened in the case described above, but if the ruleset was faulty for some reason, e.g. disallowing access for an IP range for all ports or for ports other than the given one, that would end up in a similar situation. In that case you can also no longer connect to the console. Either asking the data center to connect a KVM console to the server so that you can remotely work on the machine as if you sat in front of it, or rebooting can be an option.

Are you able to uninstall the Plesk firewall when running in recovery mode using # plesk installer remove --components psa-firewall?

I suspect you might have been locked out from accessing your own server.

That did the trick! We were then able to get into Plesk and use the repair functions and everything came back. We then installed ufw because we're used to it and now everything's back and secured. Thank you so much! :)

I remember I once removed iptables rules because I thought I can add them afterwards again, not considering that with the remove I'd also be blocked from accessing the server immediately. We don't know what happened in the case described above, but if the ruleset was faulty for some reason, e.g. disallowing access for an IP range for all ports or for ports other than the given one, that would end up in a similar situation. In that case you can also no longer connect to the console. Either asking the data center to connect a KVM console to the server so that you can remotely work on the machine as if you sat in front of it, or rebooting can be an option.

Yeah we had to go through a rescue disk which made it a bit harder but we were able to chroot into our system disk and remove the firewall. Thanks! :)

Back