• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk in IDE to SATA

C

ciberjohn

Hellow Everyone.

I'm from a few days from now trying to figure out a nice solution to migrate my present server ( hosting.netspace.pt ) from it's actual machine to another. It is an old machine yet with an IDE disk and I was planning to migrate the all solution to a machine with a RAID1 SATA. My guess is if someone already done it, might bee able to give a litle help.

Thanks

It would help if you gave more info on the 'old' and 'new' servers, such as Linux distro and versions, Plesk version on old and on new.

If you are running Plesk on the old and new servers, and if you are planning on running 7.5.3 on the new box, then you may want to try the new Migration feature in Plesk 7.5.3

But without additional details about both boxes, there is no way anyone can give you solid direction.

Hello again!
The old server it's with fedora core 2 and plesk 7.5.2. The new server it's " blank". Tha intention it's to clone from this one ( pII with an IDE disk ) to the new One ( PIV with a RAID1 in SATA ).

Thanks ins advance!

Cloning from single IDE to Raid SATA, hmmmm, that's a good one. Originally you said 'migrating'

I would check with Acronis software to see if any of their products may do it. They have several products including real-time online server 'mirroring', recently saw something about a 'cloning' product. I keep meaning to call them, but never remember when I have a bit of free time, and they're not open at this time of night!

If so, and you are successful, please post back here to let others know. I guess even if it is not successful, that is useful info as well.

All of my attempts at cloning to different drive setups or even different size (same type) drives were fraught with problems.

Now I just make sure I have lots of the exact same model and submodel drives for a given server, set aside as spares. That way I can clone them without Linux Lilo or Grub having to deal with different geometries, etc.

Hellow again. I'm in Portugal and here it's bussiness Hours :). This statment was just to justify my term " migrating". Sorry :-S.

Anyway, I've tried with acronis ( Clone Failed ) and Ghost ( witch cloned but then the new sistem would not come up )and nothing, But it was to an Asus awd 1500, and the SATA interface just was not working with fedora 2. It did work with a fresh instalation of Fedora 3 but, as you already figured, I want to clone the full sistem and it is originaly in FC2

That's what I figured would happen. What I would do is install FC2 and Plesk 7.5.3 on the new server, then use the migration feature to bring all the info across the lan wire.

Doing it this way avoids the drive type and geometry problems encountered when 'cloning'.

Thanks a lot! I'd imagine that the solution would be something like that ;). Just a final question: Then can I use the actual licence ? I't not that clear to me in the documentation about migrating.

Thanks a Lot

I believe the license for 7.5.2 will be auto-updated to 7.5.3, they have some info about that on their site. It's been a while since I had to do an upgrade I can't remember the specifics, but I know it was not a problem.

The last license key problem I had was getting them to send me my original update key from version 6 to 7, after I had the version 7 key, the other updates went ok.

When you use Ghost, does it say "no operating system" when you try to boot? If so then all that's wrong is that there's nothing in the MBR (Ghost only clones the partitions, not the boot sector)

If so, all you need to do is stick a linux boot disk in, boot from it, then run grub then issue the command "grub setup (hd0)" [assuming the first drive is your boot disk] and it should boot. This is quick and dirty -- there may be better ways.

But if there was another reason for it not coming up then ignore me.

Faris.

Oh. One more thing. If your old system's kernel didn't have support for the SATA controller built in then although it will half-boot, it may not get much further.

So you may want to get the appropriate "drivers"/LKMs/whatever it takes installed on the original system before cloning.

Faris.

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with the cloning was simple. The SATA controler in issue was not suported by FC2. I tryed in the new server to instal a FC2 and it did not work, kept loosing connection with the Hard Drives. With FC3 it was ok.
Anyway, I decided to install a fresh Plesk and use the migration agent.

Best regards and thanks a lot!
ciber

Back