• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk installation on Ubuntu 20.04

Ian Bélisle

New Pleskian
Hi!
I updated to ubuntu 20.04, now I can't install plesk.
Unsupported OS
Is there a way to bypass this?

When do you plan releasing support for it or installation?

Thank you

Support of Ubuntu 20.04 is planned but no ETA yet
Slightly off-topic @IgorG but if you're running a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS OS server, you will "officially" be able to upgrade from that and run Ubuntu 20.04 OS, once that reaches the 1st point release, which will be 20.04.01, in late July. Ubuntu themselves will provide all the packages and process to do this as they have done before.

So, it would be nice and welcomed by many, if this version of 20.04.01 is also supported by Plesk, once that specific Obsidian upgrade is released, because... this would avoid temporarily running two servers / OS whilst carrying out a slow, methodical, double-checked, server migration process. Asking for a friend etc ;)

Before installing Plesk, you should check the supported operating systems here Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian
Support of Ubuntu 20.04 is planned but no ETA yet,
I have a few 16.04 LTS's I would like to replace. Hopefully the support for it comes soon.
I prefer not to take a new 18.04 LTS now as it will expire in 2023, although I'm considering to do so anyhow.

@IgorG you have explicitly stated there is no ETA yet. Which is fine. But could you maybe state that it will for sure not happen in 2 months time?

Because in that case I will probably opt for a new server this week with Ubuntu 18.04

I'd be also interested in more information, new servers to deploy and do not wanna use old OS. Given it doesn't even support Debian 10 yet, it seems Plesk has become inacceptably slow with keeping up.

Hello,
here at our site there is also strong urge
to have Plesk running with Ubuntu 20.04-LTS!!!
When will support be available?

Regards

Chris

20.04 was just released. Take a look at the older Plesk version, at what time they've supported 18.04 and so on, than you'll get an idea how long it will take.

I just finished a new 18.04 Ubuntu install of Plesk. I don't expect any support for it within a month.

If it does, I will reinstall the server using Ubuntu 20

Ubuntu 18.04 support was in version 17.8.11 Update 12 (June 18, + - 2 months after the release of Ubuntu 18)

Information about current delivery plan for new OSes support (Debian 10, Ubuntu 20, CL8) is available in Plesk FAQ:

FAQ for Plesk

Hi,

I have read carefully the official Plesk FAQ at this link FAQ for Plesk and about the release of Plesk for Ubuntu 20.x it says like this and i quote:

" The support of these operating systems is on the way:
- Ubuntu 20: late Q3 2020"

As we all know the third quarter of this year ends on 30 September 2020 and therefore there are just under 60 days left about, the courtesy i ask would, perhaps, be able to know if it will be released by August 2020 or September 2020 or even beyond, just so that we can adjust in the case of new installations for new projects / servers.

Thanks in advance for the support.

The new Plesk Version 18.0.29 says
Linux
  • Ubuntu 20 is now supported. Plesk Migrator supports migration from Ubuntu 16 and 18 to Ubuntu 20

I have a VPS on ubuntu 18 and running plesk 18.0.29.

How do I upgrade to ubuntu 20 without breaking anything?

Thank you!!

The new Plesk Version 18.0.29 says Linux Ubuntu 20 is now supported. Plesk Migrator supports migration from Ubuntu 16 and 18 to Ubuntu 20
See my post above #3 again. The update is that the point release for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will now be, tomorrow (6/8/2020) meaning, we'll all be able to officially upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS etc to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS if we want to / are ready to, anytime after that date.

However, the way that Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29 announcement is worded, it looks... like, Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29 will only work on fresh, clean Ubuntu 20.04 LTS installs (at present) and that you'll have to migrate from an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server to a separate Ubuntu 20.04 LTS server, if you wish to run the latest Ubuntu OS & Plesk (which is a lot more work, than simply upgrading the Ubuntu OS 'behind' Plesk, as we have done with all of the previous Ubuntu 18.04 LTS point releases). Fingers crossed that's wrong, but that's how it looks at present

Last edited:
See my post above #3 again. The update is that the point release for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will now be, tomorrow (6/8/2020) meaning, we'll all be able to officially upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS etc to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS if we want to / are ready to, anytime after that date.

However, the way that Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29 announcement is worded, it looks... like, Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29 will only work on fresh, clean Ubuntu 20.04 LTS installs (at present) and that you'll have to migrate from an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server to a separate Ubuntu 20.04 LTS server, if you wish to run the latest Ubuntu OS & Plesk (which is a lot more work, than simply upgrading the Ubuntu OS 'behind' Plesk, as we have done with all of the previous Ubuntu 18.04 LTS point releases). Fingers crossed that's wrong, but that's how it looks at present
Thanks for your reply. Will wait for a response from Plesk if they support 20.04.01 then

Question
  • Is it possible to install Plesk on Ubuntu 20.04?
Answer
Plesk now supports Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29

However, keep in mind the following limitations:

• Plesk does not support dist-upgrade from any previous versions of Ubuntu;

Question
  • Is it possible to install Plesk on Ubuntu 20.04?
Answer
Plesk now supports Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29

However, keep in mind the following limitations:

• Plesk does not support dist-upgrade from any previous versions of Ubuntu;
Did think that would be the case :rolleyes: because exactly the same thing happened previously (between Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)

However, do often wonder if these Ubuntu dist-upgrades have ever been tested by Plesk on an insitu Plesk Obsidian setup?

It's far easier (and quicker) to exclude dist-upgrades, as it's then very clear to users and, also saves Plesk a lot of time testing this additional form of OS platform base too. Hmmmmm. We're running Obsidian 18.0.29 now on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and it's great to be fair, so it's no immediate panic for us & as a result of that Plesk article, short term, we'll now stay as we are / not upgrade the existing Ubuntu OS and not swap to a new server / fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS either, until Obsidian progresses to 18.0.30 and all early Plesk on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS bugs have been erradicated

We will begin transitioning from machines on Debian 8 to new ones on Ubuntu 20.04. That rules out using dist-upgrade. With a ten year support cycle for Ubuntu 20 I believe that the ability to do a dist-upgrade clearly fades in importance. There's a very high probability that our next OS change will again be done along with changing the hardware.

We will begin transitioning from machines on Debian 8 to new ones on Ubuntu 20.04. That rules out using dist-upgrade. With a ten year support cycle for Ubuntu 20 I believe that the ability to do a dist-upgrade clearly fades in importance. There's a very high probability that our next OS change will again be done along with changing the hardware.
Yes, we all have different criteria. We plan to upgrade to each new Ubuntu release, before the expiry of its "Hardware and maintainence updates" period (see below). So, as posted, whilst we have no present rush to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04.1 (as it is now) we won't still be using that specific release in 10 years time, it will be Ubuntu 22.08 or similar. Hence, it would have been nice for Plesk to include all dist-upgrades (which are officially provided by Ubuntu) well, certainly in our case anyway.

Ubuntu.png

Reactions: OGR
Back