• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Plesk is very slow after adding an FTP account

Leta

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows 10 Home
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.61 #5
Hi,

I am working on a staging copy of a WordPress site of ours (created via WP Toolkit)

Since we added a new FTP account, giving it write and read permissions, Plesk is very slow

For example, opening the wp-content folder is impossible via Plesk (it keeps loading)

It is only openable via FTP and even through FTP, it is slow to open with this message when I click on wp-content

"Continue listing directory with more than 72272 files"

having loads of files looking like this temp-write-test-67544444440a0b-772222333344

How do I fix it?

Let me know soon, thanks

Best regards,

Leta

Hello, @Leta. It is very unlikely for the described behavior to be caused by the creation of the FTP account itself. It looks like you have an excessive number of files in your wp-content folder and when you attempt to access it through the GUI the listing of the files is taking too long. The process is most likely timing out eventually. I am not quite sure what's the server OS you are using, however, if the same is configured with Pure-FTPd, usually by default the "LimitRecursion" limit is set to 10,000 (you can see only 10,000 listed per directory via FTP), so you might consider increasing the limit. In any case, if you have more than 72 272 files it will be best to consider using the command line and removing the unneeded files.
Regarding the files, if you are not sure what exactly is creating them, it might be best to seek for an advice from the WordPress community.

Back