• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question plesk license and backup manager

snIP3r

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.62 Update #2
hi all!

i have a problem with restoring my vserver's plesk config/data:
i use a vserver at strato who adds a plesk license to every vserver. my actual license type is Plesk 10.x/11.x 10 Domains. strato offers a free transfer to Web Admin Edition. but this has not been done yet. they also offer a free transfer from virtuozzo to kvm virtualization environment. this has also not been made yet.
now i am trying to move to the new models but i am not sure how. this is because strato support tells me that i cannot restore a backup made with the old license bacause its bound to the ip adress of the server.
currently my planned steps would be:
- change current plesk model to new one
- backup current machine in plesk backup manager
- reinstall server on new kvm platform (i get a new ip here)
- install plesk with new license from strato
- restore backup from old machine

can someone give me a hint what to do or if my steps are valid?

thx in advance
snIP3r

Hi there, do understand correctly that you still run Plesk 10.x or 11.x on your server and you want to migrate to another server? Of is it just an old license you are currently using?

i am currently using the old mentioned Plesk 10.x or 11.x license and want to migrate to another server. but BEFORE that, i wanted to migrate the plesk license to the new web admin edition.

Licenses are bound to IP address. If you got your license from your provider (or another reseller) only they can assign the license to a different IP address.

However, migrating an existing license is not need in order to restore a Plesk backup to a different server. The only requirement is that the new server contains it's own license. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Back