• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk license update error

ajinp

New Pleskian
Hi Friends,

I have multiple Plesk servers with OVH and the license is provided by OVH. I am facing same issue in all the servers.

I have 15+ shared IP(Without NAT) added to each server and Plesk not detecting the main IP when it try to update/install the license.

For example,

If server main IP is a.a.a.a, plesk shows below error when I try to install license,

+++++++
Request cannot be serviced from the specified IP(s): b.b.b.b (Error code: 2)
+++++++

I noticed that the IP b.b.b.b is shown in the the top position in the below command output,

# ip a

I already checked below article and OVH is not ready to link the license with IP b.b.b.b

OVH support is not helping me on this and I am unable to reach Plesk support.

Can someone guide me on this.

Thanks a lot.

So my questions is Why Plesk is not detecting the servers main IP when it is intiating a license modification requests to plesk license server and how can we change this behaviour ?
It looks like a bug with Plesk

I've got the same problem on one of my server but only on my most recent servers.
For now, the only tweak I found is to delete all the IPs, update the licence and the add the IPs again. It's working but not ideal...
One thing I figured out is on my old server, the IP is set to static (eg : /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 :

Code:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=X.X.X.X
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=X.X.X.1

In my most recent server the IP is set to DHCP

Code:
# Created by cloud-init on instance boot automatically, do not edit.
#
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no

I do believe the trouble comes from here but I can't find the solution. We cannot edit the ifcfg-eth0 as stated in the code. It might be an OVH problem...
Hope we're going to solve this issue.

To be continued...
---------------------------------------------------
Fred //// In Plesk we trust

Yes, I see outgoing connections from this server are going through the additional IP address.
How can I change it back to server main IP ?
any ideas ?

Hi mate, I have the solution.
The main issue is that plesk, when you add failover ips it will take the first ip listed as main for the license.
You can check it with 'ip a' in ssh and you will see that the first ip listed (it will be eh0:X) its the ip that plesk understand as main ip for the license.

1 - So, if you go to '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts' Delete every file named 'ifcfg-eth0:X' (dont delete ifcfg:eth0).
2 - Reboot server
3 - Connect to your plesk (if u cant by hostname, connect by the main ip server)
4 - Apply the same key to renew the license
5 - In you plesk panel go to 'IP' and press 'Reread' for all listed ips
6 - Maybe you will see 'repair' in each ip, DO IT.

Thats an emergency solution. I think the issue will appear the next month, because if i you put 'ip a' you will see listed another ip (maybe different), but its not the main vps ip.

Last edited:
I solved it as follows

- I copied the ifcfg-eth0: 1 file and renamed it to ifcfg-eth0: 2
- I changed the ifcfg-eth0: 1 file with the IP where the Plesk license is
- I put the IP failover in the file ifcfg-eth0: 2
- Then at Plesk I asked to reread the IPs

For now it is resolved, I believe that next month there will be no problem since now the command "ip a" displays the two interfaces with main IP associated with eth0: 1

I solved it as follows

- I copied the ifcfg-eth0: 1 file and renamed it to ifcfg-eth0: 2
- I changed the ifcfg-eth0: 1 file with the IP where the Plesk license is
- I put the IP failover in the file ifcfg-eth0: 2
- Then at Plesk I asked to reread the IPs

For now it is resolved, I believe that next month there will be no problem since now the command "ip a" displays the two interfaces with main IP associated with eth0: 1
I should have thought about it o_O. I had to restart the network but it's working just fine. Will be back i a month to tell you if it's still working.
Cheers

//////EDIT : Back after few month ; it's working just fine thanks again

Last edited:
Hello!

Same error here on Ubuntu 18.04 - unfortunately I can't resolve it your way. The only thing I can do: revome the ip, update the license and bring back the ip via the Plesk backend.

In /etc/netplan/ there are two files now: 01-netcfg.yaml with the orginal-shipped ips (ipv4 and ipv6) and 10-plesk.yaml within the new (failover-)ip.
Now I test to delete the 10-plesk.yaml and put the new ip in the correct oder in 01-netcfg.yaml.
I will report, if this helps...

Yours!

//////EDIT: Unfortunately no change!

Last edited:
Hi,

Migrating my servers from centos to debian, I ran into the same problem at some point.
He's what you can do :
in /etc/network/interfaces make sure the first eth0:1 is the main plesk IP so you should have something like that :
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0:1 inet static
    address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd #plesk main ip
    netmask 255.255.255.255
auto eth0:1
iface eth0:2 inet static
    address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
    netmask 255.255.255.255
auto eth0:2
iface eth0:3 inet static
    address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
    netmask 255.255.255.255
auto eth0:3
iface eth0:4 inet static
    address aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
    netmask 255.255.255.255
auto eth0:4

Just restart the server (I got stuck restarting network.service) and reread the IPs.
Not sure about how you do that on ubuntu though. Might be slightly different but the idea is the same

Hello!

I have the same problem (server provided by OVH and license provided by OVH too) :mad:

When I try to update the license from PLESK, requests (to ka.plesk.com, if I'm not wrong) are sent from an additional IP (IP FAILOVER). Requests are not sent from server main IP address :oops:
The problem is described here: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377083090455
But the solution given in this article is "Contact the system administrator"! Is this a joke?

I contacted PLESK Support Team, who told me to contact OVH and ask them to modify the IP bounded to the license...
I contacted OVH, but even insisting, OVH refused to modify the IP associated with the license :-(

Is the only solution (as described by FredKT and josede), is to remove all the additional IPs, update the licence and then add the IPs again????

We are several users having the same problem...
Also see this post: Issue - Plesk license using wrong IP

To Plesk Team: Isn't there a way that requests to update licence, are always sent from the server's main IP address???

Thanks!

A license bought from Plesk directly is not bound to one specific IP address, but it seems that you got your license from a reseller, OVH. Resellers have the option to lock licenses to an IP address. They can also release that lock. Plesk cannot interfere with the reseller's policy.

A license bought from Plesk directly is not bound to one specific IP address, but it seems that you got your license from a reseller, OVH. Resellers have the option to lock licenses to an IP address. They can also release that lock. Plesk cannot interfere with the reseller's policy.
ok thanks for the info ;)
The license was acquired in a package at a special price (VPS + PLESK license), so if I buy a license directly from PLESK, I will lose this benefit :-(

I applied the solution proposed by josede, and it worked.... but requires a restart of the server which is very constraining :confused:

Thanks a lot.

Back