• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Log Rotation

If I understand correctly, you have default setting for Log Rotation for your domain:
upload_2016-12-7_10-53-47.png
So, for example, if you have 100Mb of logs daily, then IIS will generate log files 10Mb size and Plesk will rotate files if there are more than "Maximum number of log files".
Maybe you need to set Log rotation condition to "Weekly" or "Monthly"?

Please check Log rotation settings, it should be configurable for your needs.

If I understand correctly, you have default setting for Log Rotation for your domain:
View attachment 11845
So, for example, if you have 100Mb of logs daily, then IIS will generate log files 10Mb size and Plesk will rotate files if there are more than "Maximum number of log files".
Maybe you need to set Log rotation condition to "Weekly" or "Monthly"?

Please check Log rotation settings, it should be configurable for your needs.

Thanks, but my problem is not the log for each domain, the problem is log of plesk (global log).

For example FTP, HTTP or SMTP of server. The only that I found is move before delete : https://kb.plesk.com/en/3545

KB article you found is about domains logs, but you say that "my problem is not the log for each domain".

Can you please say exactly files we are talking about?
%plesk_dir%\admin\logs\plesklog_<something>.log
%plesk_dir%\admin\logs\php_error.log
%plesk_dir%\admin\logs\W3SVCXX\u<something>.log

or:
c:\inetpub\vhosts\webspace.com\logs\iis\W3SVCXX\u<something>.log ?

What exactly files you want to keep for longer period?

My problem is the logs of Mail Server. Plesk delete all when past 24h and MailEnable Support say : ME not delete logs and now with https://kb.plesk.com/en/3545 I have a copy of logs.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Logging\SMTP
%plesk_dir%\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Logging\SMTP

Unfortunately, this is behavior by design, and there is no hidden registry tricks to manage this process.
Mail logs are common for whole mail server. we are processing these logs every day, and removing old (processed) logs after we have finished processing.

Can I ask, why this behavior is not working for you? What is your scenario and why you need to keep original logs?

What is your scenario and why you need to keep original logs?

What a question! You always need to keep logs for more then a day. I can think of a few very good reasons

- proof a website was spamming when you turned the site off
- proof that an email account was hacked and smtp was used from dozens of places in the world
- proof that you did mail them to warn them they where spamming
- proof that mail did work on a given day
- proof that they did logged in from ip address xxx with a wrong password, and thats why they ended up in fail2ban
- proof to clients you did mail them there bill was overdue

I am sure there are a lot more reasons. I would say: logs should be at least kept for 30 days, at a minimum.

We (providers) are giving payed services to clients, whenever we take away that service, either spam, not payed, whatever, we need to proof that we (temporary) discontinued it for a legitimate reason. the only way we can proof that are the server logs, so: yes, we need to keep them!

regards
Jan

Unfortunately, this is behavior by design, and there is no hidden registry tricks to manage this process.
Mail logs are common for whole mail server. we are processing these logs every day, and removing old (processed) logs after we have finished processing.

Can I ask, why this behavior is not working for you? What is your scenario and why you need to keep original logs?

See Jan answer ... there is a lot of reasons for keep logs for more of one day.

Back