• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk on Docker

lachero

New Pleskian
Is it efficient to run Plesk on Docker?
plesk/docker

If yes, what are the necessary steps I need to take in order to deploy the application as needed and to persist the data?

If no, why? how docker is different than running Plesk on a regular VM?

Thanks!

Hello, thank you for the reply.

First of all, this article was written in 2015, it pretty old.
Second, it doesn't mention anything that this image not recommended for production and they mention that this image is pretty much similar to the image AWS provides on the Marketplace. and yet I didn't see any option how can I persist the data.

From what I've known using docker, each service should be in a single container for better performance, so I know Plesk using many services such as NGINX MariaDB, PHP-FPM, and much more, shouldn't they be split into different containers somehow?

We do not recommend using Plesk in docker for production. This option is only recommended for evaluation purposes.

Regarding persistence, it is necessary in the image to place the locations where the data is written (virtual hosts, /var/qmail/, etc.) into separate volumes. The problem is that there are quite a few such locations. That is, it is theoretically possible, but impractical.

I see, could you tell me what is the reason you do not recommend using Plesk in docker for production?

What are the differences between having Plesk on a docker container than having it on ubuntu virtual machine?

Thanks!

This Plesk docker image is for extension testing only, for evaluation.
The fact is that it has docker-specific bugs, some components are not included in the image.
Therefore, it is not intended for production.

To create a container based on Plesk Obsidian for evaluation purposes use the following command:

Back