• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Onyx / Ubuntu 16.04 - unable to recover failed dovecot installation

Stefan Kay

New Pleskian
Hi,

plesk recently tried to update dovecot on my server - for some reason, installation hangs.

[2016-12-21 11:13:56.390716] E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 0 sec.): parent_name='PLESK_17_0_17', sequence='pkgs', stage='rollback', sequence_order='1', operation='install', exec_cmd='rm -f /tmp/pp-bootstrapper-mode.flag; rm -f /var/lock/parallels-panel-maintenance-mode.flag; touch /var/lock/parallels-panel-upgrade-failure.flag; /etc/init.d/psa restart; :'', m_arch='', output: ~empty
[2016-12-21 11:13:56.856292] Error: Ein Fehler ist aufgetreten bei dem Versuch, Pakete zu installieren.
Achtung! Ihre Software ist vielleicht nicht betriebsbereit.
Bitte kontaktieren Sie den technischen Produktsupport.

Running dpkg --configure -a leads to the whole server being unresponsive : imap-login process is using 100% cpu, ssh is updating only once per minutes, new shell sessions cannot be established or are only established after several minutes.

I would need some help on where to investigate further on the issue.

Many thanks,

Stefan

Try to fix it with

# plesk repair installation
# plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components

Try to fix it with

# plesk repair installation
# plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components

Plesk repair did not help - it seems the problem was more dovecot going haywire. I fixed it by removing dovecot manually:
# dpkg -r plesk-dovecot-imap-driver
# dpkg -r plesk-dovecot

Afterwards I switched plesk to use courier, and everything went on fine from there. I assume that dovecot went mad after upgrade due to some misconfiguration / unusal configuration, and was greedy enough to impact overall system stability.

Thanks a lot,

Stefan

Back