• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Partially Broken - After Several Failed Upgrades

T

thomasgrant

Hello. First time here as I always try to figure out problems myself without seeking out direct help in this manner.

I was recently attempting to upgrade Plesk from 9.2.1 to 9.5.4 on a machine I have with ServerBeach. I wasn't sure if I needed to incrementally upgrade, so I first tried going to 9.2.2. When that failed, I attempted to go to 9.5.4. That failed as well. I believe the primary issue is related to MySQL, possibly the version installed. In the past, I may have upgraded MySQL via YUM - which I understand can have an effect when doing Plesk upgrades.

After both failed upgrades, I was unable to access Plesk and the hosted websites. I was able to reach a shell, which lead led me to find that Apache wasn't running. After starting Apache, I saw Horde webmail being displayed in place of each of the hosted websites. In my research to fix that, I found reference to running the command "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/websrvmng -av" to rebuild configuration. The hosted websites were loading properly, but Plesk was not. I then found reference to editing "/etc/my.cnf", disabling the setting "set-variable=local-infile=0" and then restarting MySQL to get access to Plesk again. At that pont, I was able to log into Plesk, but was only able to access the "License Management" section, and was given the message:

Error: The license key is invalid. In order to use the Parallels Plesk Panel, please obtain and install a new functioning license key. You are trying to use license key created for other version of Parallels Plesk Panel. Contact Parallels sales representatives to get the correct license key. The amount of currently used resources overrides the limits defined by your license. The number of web sites hosted on the server exceeds the limits defined by your license. You have 5 sites hosted; your license allows hosting only 1 sites.

At the time, I was not in a place where i had time to further investigate it as I had other work needing to get done. I reached out to ServerBeach technical support for assistance. They were able to correct the issue with the license, and then mentioned it should be okay to proceed with an upgrade to Plesk again. If I continued to have issues I could reach out to them again.

Later, when I had time, I attempted an upgrade again. This time however, from the command line using the autoinstaller. I used "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-id PLESK_9_5_4 --upgrade-installed-components". It again failed after several attempts, seemingly with different warnings and errors during different attempts. One being about being unable to connect to SQL using "admin@localhost". While researching I saw one website talk about the upgrade needing the root/admin user for MySQL to be empty. I then removed the password, but soon realized I could not log into Plesk again. I changed the MySQL password again, using the one I would use to login to Plesk. I can now log in, but I am not seeing content that would be in the right side of the control panel. All that I see is the menu options shown on the left side of the control panel.

I am also receiving emails (again) indicating that the license is invalid and that the reseller account has exceed its limits and suspended.

Ugh... I don't blame anyone but myself, so I expect to be able to figure it out myself and not have to ask for help. Anyone with ideas on tackling this without me bugging ServerBeach support again, unless I have to?

Thats a bummer!
Do you have any technical info or specific error messages that you can provide for us to assist in troubleshooting?

Back