• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk server notification mails with bad header!

Maris

Basic Pleskian
Hello guys,

Plesk Onyx / CentOS7.3

trying to set my Plesk server to send me notification mails to my 3rd party email account ([email protected]) when backup finishes, when Fail2Ban bans someone etc. However I'm facing the following problem - mails arrive with big delay, subject says "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender". From field is: [email protected]. Content:

This is the mail system at host server.localdomain.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host mx2.smtp.startmail.com[37.153.204.237] said: 554
5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Sender address rejected: unknown address (in
reply to RCPT TO command)

There's also an attachment of original email. And when i look in email's source it looks like this:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: by server.localdomain (Postfix, from userid 0)
id 671A0500D07; Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:37:47 +0200 (EET)
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============0182442811624262120=="
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:37:47 +0200
Subject: Backup task notification
Message-Id: <[email protected]>

currently etc/hosts look like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost.locladomain loclahost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx server.xxxxxxxxx.com server

In Plesk's profile, where you specify Administrator's phone etc, email is set to be: [email protected]

So how do I test? I go to backups and perform a simple backup, I also check the checkbox and enter email address [email protected] so it sends a mail confirmation when task has been finished.

No luck so far! Please advise if you have faced and solved this situation before!
Thank you!

Does the server have a subscription domain or add-on domain that is named yyy.com or is the host itself named yyy.com? In that case the SMTP service will try to deliver the e-mail locally and will fail if the sender address [email protected] is unconfigured.

Hey Peter, that's the point, it's totally external 3rd party email, think of it as gmail. And no - server doesn't have this domain as a subscription or add-on domain.

In that case it probably has something to do with http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html . There were other forum entries recently referring to similar issues. But it remained unclear why it happens. I don't think it is a Plesk issue. For testing purposes: Would it be possible for you to change the e-mail address to a different service, e.g. a Gmail recipient? Doing so will let you test whether it is a problem with the recipient's configuration or a problem on your Plesk machine.

Sending out to other email addresses act the same way. Pff.. that long article looks too complicated for beginner, I've already lost 3 whole days trying to go through long, complicated solutions, where you barely understand why you're doing what you're doing... and if you want to understand - then boom, there's a whole book to read before you do something... but none of these articles gave the results I was hoping for. Plus, what's interesting - it all is not a result of some complex installing, configuring and then boom - we have a problem. It all happens with fresh install! Out of the box - it doesnt work! That's the worst part i guess!

I am sure that this is not the out-of-the-box behavior. What system platform are you running on, what OS and version?

As mentioned in my initial post - Plesk Onyx / CentOS7.3
Right out of the box - it was not working!
Maybe it has something to do with DNS settings? No idea

Please try to toggle the SMTP server. Currently you are using Postfix. Switch to QMail with
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component qmail
Then test again.

You can switch back to Postfix by
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component postfix

Nope, no luck! Even worse - now after reverting back to postfix by provided command - i am waiting at least 20 seconds till any of Plesk interface clicks actually load requested page. It stays with "Waiting for server.myserver.com" in browser's status line. While my hosted webpages load super fast!

Hanging Plesk panel cannot be caused by Postfix. It could have something to do with hanging processes in general. I suggest to restart the panel with:
# service psa stopall
# service psa start

Back