• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk SMTP Server

JohnnyU

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Admin Edition Version 18.0.50
Hello,

Here is my setup:

- domain DNS hosted on namecheap
- Plesk server with leaseweb
- Postfix SMTP installed
- Website that needs to send email for user registration

I created a mail account in Plesk so I know what to use as username and password
How do I setup domain.com to send emails ? Should I use domain.com as HOST? Is there any other DNS setup needed?

Screenshot 2023-02-01 121607.png

SMTP Host: Either the hostname of the machine from where you are sending or "localhost" (without quotation marks) or "127.0.0.1" (w/o quotation marks).
SMTP Port: 25
SMTP Username: The name of any mailbox on the server. It does not need to belong to the same webspace account, but it must exist on the server.
SMTP Passwort: The password of that mailbox.
SMTP Secure Connection: None (there is really absolutely no need for encryption when the website communicates with the mailserver on the same server. It's like pushing information from one corner of RAM to another).

SMTP Host: Either the hostname of the machine from where you are sending or "localhost" (without quotation marks) or "127.0.0.1" (w/o quotation marks).
SMTP Port: 25
SMTP Username: The name of any mailbox on the server. It does not need to belong to the same webspace account, but it must exist on the server.
SMTP Passwort: The password of that mailbox.
SMTP Secure Connection: None (there is really absolutely no need for encryption when the website communicates with the mailserver on the same server. It's like pushing information from one corner of RAM to another).
Sir, if I understood you right, it means you don't necessarily need external SMTP server to be able to send emails from your website to clients?

BTW, username is not enough, it has to be username@domain because there is no other way for a mailserver serving multiple domains to know which domain's account you want to access.

BTW, username is not enough, it has to be username@domain because there is no other way for a mailserver serving multiple domains to know which domain's account you want to access.

Correct, this. A username for email, even when configuring a mail client such as Outlook is GENERALLY going to be the full email address in most cases.

Back