• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Upgrade Issue - 17.8.11 to Obsidian 18.0.20

Tom K.

New Pleskian
Hello,

I have performed several upgrades on Windows Plesk servers, and when upgrading Onyx 17.8.11 to Obsidian 18.0.20, I see the same reoccurring issue:

ERROR: Upgrade step 2019-04-25-14-46-58_ReportUsage.php failed with code 1 and output:
ERROR: Error: Call to a member function read() on bool (BrandingTheme.php:432)

Some steps of upgrade failed. Run upgrade with option --repair to rerun failed steps.

When the upgrade fails, the panel becomes inaccessible on 8443. It leaves the C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\admin\htdocs folder empty except a couple of folders, subsequently causing the Plesk panel to not load.

If I run a plesk installer update command it then says that everything is good, even though it leaves the panel website on 8443 in an unusable state.

Resolution:

I found that Plesk creates an C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\admin\htdocs_upgrade.bak folder nearby with the new Plesk 18 files. I copy these into the original admin\htdocs folder, and Obsidian works again.

Just wanted to report this in case anyone else has upgrade issues. Maybe a Plesk engineer can look into why these Plesk upgrades are failing on the error above? There are absolutely no documentation as to a resolution on this.

P.S.
Does anyone know what upgrade command with --repair option they mean here?
plesk sbin ai doesn't seem to have a --repair option at all.

Thank You,
Tom

Last edited:
I assume you did try "plesk repair all -y' first before anything else.

Seems to fix alot of issues for us now and again.

Glad you got it fixed though.

Back