• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk10.1.1: How to restore 1000 domains within at least a week?

M

MSmart

Hello,

I need a way to restore 1000 domains within a week or two in order to shift from old plesk7 and 8 servers to Plesk10.1.1 that I have found very nice and reliable (except this weird restore slowness issue).

The steps I am doing are the following:
1. create psa dump for each client on psa8 servers.
2. copy these psa dumps over network to the destination server
3. convert psa dumps into plesk9 format and then to plesk10 format.
4. edit xml description of every client to remap IPs to the new ones and also remap database servers hostnames accordinly
5. start restore process ( either using migration manager in plesk panel pointed to xml description of the client or directly in console using pleskrestore.exe binary).

In the beginning of the process everything seems to be fine - accounts and domains are being restored. Starting from this moment the issue begins. Every next account restore process takes more time than previous. After the system has about 150 domains created the speed of the restore takes too much time. Now the server has 150 domains and conflict resolving takes 30 minutes, the deployer.exe deploys the account with one domain within 5 minutes. Conflict resolution time dramatically increases with each next account restored. Why?

Plesk is very tidy and tries to detect any possible conflicts in resources before these conflicts actually occurs during deployment process. It seems that this is good feature but resolving conflicts takes a time. More to say. During one account restore process I see several times pmmcli.exe is running to resolve conflicts and doing the same things several times: running websrvmng.exe --list-vhosts-vdirs and so on. Why?

It seems that Plesk control panel tries to ensure that I didn't create a domain manually in IIS before plesk does. Why?

Is there a hint/way/utility that allows to restore many backups at once withing a reasonable time frame?

As an addition there are two important issues I experience with Plesk10:

1. Deployer can stuck on win2008 x64 servers: only reboot helps
2. Deployer starts as separate process(not as derivatives of plesksrv.exe or PMMcli.exe) and as result in case I restore large account(59 domains) it is working at the moment of the next small account(1 domain) is ready to be deployed(finished conflict resolution and ready to be shifter to deployer). It seems that deployer has no queue of tasks to do and as a result each next restore process failed until reach free deployer (that finished to restore a large account with many domains already)

Tomorrow I will try to use two another ways :
1. Create one big psa dump on the source server, convert it to plesk10 format and will have one xml description of the whole bunch of accounts to restore. I hope conflict resolving will do this only once and then just starts to deploy accounts and domains.
2. Use GUI migration manager. I suppose it should do the same I described above - only one time conflict resolving and then deploying, deploying...

I had the same situation in summer 2010 but with Plesk9 - all the ways I described here do not work. I had to reinstall the server with win2003x64, install Plesk8.6 and did the restore of 1000 domains within two days. Feel the difference :)

I hope Plesk10 will be our next production platform.

PS: just imagine: in case you've lost all the server(RAID crash) but have plesk backups. How can you return in business at least within a week?

Thanks,
MSmart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Tomorrow I will try to use two another ways :
1. Create one big psa dump on the source server, convert it to plesk10 format and will have one xml description of the whole bunch of accounts to restore. I hope conflict resolving will do this only once and then just starts to deploy accounts and domains.
2. Use GUI migration manager. I suppose it should do the same I described above - only one time conflict resolving and then deploying, deploying...

Just checked GUI way. I was stuck a bit on plesk migration agent version 10.0.0 that is only available on Parallels website and is not working with latest Plesk 10.1.1. Then I decided to check its URL and changed the version - here is it:

http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels...Microsoft-2003-i386/plesk-migration-agent.msi

It is the path to needed version of migration manager that is the same that migration agent - 10.1.1

Checking this further :)

Regards,
MSmart

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked GUI way. I was stuck a bit on plesk migration agent version 10.0.0 that is only available on Parallels website and is not working with latest Plesk 10.1.1. Then I decided to check its URL and changed the version - here is it:

http://autoinstall-win.pp.parallels...Microsoft-2003-i386/plesk-migration-agent.msi

It is the path to needed version of migration manager that is the same that migration agent - 10.1.1

Checking this further :)

Regards,
MSmart

GUI based migration has failed.
I continue with this step (like a last resort):

Thanks
MSmart

GUI based migration has failed.
I continue with this step (like a last resort):

Thanks
MSmart

Last resort way didn't work. For some reason 45Gb psa dump file is too big for pre9-backup-convert.exe.

I decided to return to account-by-account conversion and then restoration way. In case all conflicts pre-resolved before to start actual restore (fixed IPs and database server names in xml dump) the conflict resolution takes about 30 minutes.

I managed to restore 106 accounts with 433 domains now.

Last resort way didn't work. For some reason 45Gb psa dump file is too big for pre9-backup-convert.exe.

I decided to return to account-by-account conversion and then restoration way. In case all conflicts pre-resolved before to start actual restore (fixed IPs and database server names in xml dump) the conflict resolution takes about 30 minutes.

I managed to restore 106 accounts with 433 domains now.

I managed to restore 217 accounts with 652 domains now.

Hi MSmart,

Did you complete your migration? Currently I am facing the similar situation, we need to migrate our 2003 (32 bit ) server with plesk 8.1 to 2008 server (64bit) with plesk 10.x, so can you please advise me a best and suitable method for this migration? We have around 80-100 domains, total back up size is only 4 GB, please advise me to start the the work..

Thank you, Bro!

Regards,
Sujith

add me to this list

I'm in the same boat too. I'm at the point where i'd be willing to hire someone to walk me through my issues or put through a detailed step by step guide.

anything you got would be appreciated.

steve

I backed up 30gig on Plesk 8, and restored to Plesk 10 running 2008r2 64 bit. Make sure you configure iis to run in 32 bit. Also edit windows 2008 to not enforce strong passwords.

Configure new Plesk 10 with all ip addresses your old server is setup to use, and dns templates.

Create a new site and verify all settings are correct.

If mail enable pro is used, any folder that a client created will not be created correctly, I had to copy all contacts from old server to new server due to they was not copied.

Start restore of old Plesk to Plesk 10. My 200 domains @ 30 gig took 7 hrs to backup, 6 hrs to transfer to my datacenter, and 12hrs to restore.

After restore, I ran scripts on the vhost folder due to I changed from drive c: to e:

Jerry

Hello guys,

I have managed to complete restore process - currently I have 1037 domains and 340 accounts. Exact steps how I have done this I described in this post:

http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=440991&postcount=5

Now I am starting content resync process - it took about a month to move the backups, so the content is outdated, especially in databases.

So the next my steps are:
1. switch websites, CF and ODBC DSNs on the old servers to new database hostnames(which are pointed to the old database servers for a while)
2. dump and restore all databases in order to copy the content over to the new database servers
3. repoint new database hostnames to the new servers (this will have all websites on the old server use databases on the new servers)
4. resync websites and mails using robocopy
5. check every website, fix any evident issues(php version, apppool, aspnet classic/integrated mode, connection strings, etc)
6. switch DSN to repoint all websites to the new server

Thats all.

Thanks
MSmart

I have finished my transfer. 1000 domains from 4 old servers are on the new Plesk10 server now. I have switched domains to the new server step-by-step with about 60 domains per each step. Everything seems to be fine. The only thing that it took too much time.

Thanks
MSmart

Back