• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

pleskbackup backups >1 GB

breun

Golden Pleskian
I use pleskbackup --all filename to backup a Plesk 8 server. However it seems that when filename grows over 1 GB pleskbackup closes filename and start writing to filename.001. I don't want this behavior, I just want an archive in 1 file that I can easily scp to another server. Do I need to adjust my backup script to tar the files together or is there some option I can pass to pleskbackup to just create a single archive (like psadump did on Reloaded).

The Linux file system cannot handle files larger then 2GB, if your backup file grows larger then 2GB your backup file will be useless and just sit there taking up space on your server.

Originally posted by Traged1
The Linux file system cannot handle files larger then 2GB, if your backup file grows larger then 2GB your backup file will be useless and just sit there taking up space on your server.
This is not true with the recent Linux distribution, I have files much bigger that 2GB with RHL9 on ext3 filesystem or later and they work just fine.

Good to know, thanks for the update. I honestly never checked on our newer Linux servers as I did not want to have the file system messed up, but I guess if you have tested this, then maybe you are correct. I stand corrected.

Indeed, with Plesk 7.5 I had backup files of several gigabytes. No problem for ext3 filesystems. But no one knows why pleskbackup splits its output into 1 GB files? I also noticed the documentation doesn't mention this fact at all.

I wrote a little script to transfer the backup file to a remote server, but later noticed the pleskbackup command started to produce multiple files, so I was transferring only part of my backup. Luckily I found out in time or I might be stuck with a useless backup.

Just FYI

Code:
export PLESKX_SPLIT_SIZE=21474836480

that command set temporary the backup split file size to 20 gb if you want one whole single file for your backup, run it, then

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all /path/to/where/create/the/backup/filename

regards,

Actually I already created a work around in my script. I just scp filename* instead of filename to a remote host. By the way, how did you know you have to change this variable? Could I have found out myself?

probably not, i had to ask SW-Soft support, they were working on my box because pleskbackup was borked, and then i asked "hey i want a full whole file for backups, not a bunch of em" and they answered to me with that variable change.

Back