• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

pleskrestore in 11.0.9 Update #9

matt.simpson

Basic Pleskian
I am trying to do something which should be pretty easy... migrate one of our web servers from a physical machine to a virtual machine, and I am running into serious issues with the pleskrestore utility.

Here was my plan of action:

1. Backup the physical server with pleskbackup utility (same OSs and patch levels, same Plesk versions, pretty small server with only 8GB of data to backup, 19 domains, 0 e-mail accounts, all databases on external database server).
2. Transfer the backup file to the virtual server using scp.
3. Shutdown the physical server.
4. Restore the physical servers ifcfg-eth0* files to the virtual server and reboot the virtual server.
5. Install Plesk 11 using the autoinstaller.
6. Run the pleskrestore utility on the virtual server.

Besides the few gotchas that I ran into that I got around... the pleskrestore utility doesn't actually work anyways. As others have mentioned the deployer script starts to use 100% of the CPU after 3.9GB's of data is restored, and from there it's just all down hill.

I wanted to use the pleskbackup and pleskrestore utilities instead of the Migration & Transfer Manager because the new virtual machine has the same IP addresses as the old physical machine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~Matt Simpson

Plesk migration manager has a feature where you instead specify the location of the files on your server.

"Transfer data already processed by the Migration & Transfer Agent and located on the local host"

Interesting. I could try that.

What do you think of this?

1. Set up the new virtual machine with new IP addresses.
2. Using the Migration Manager to migrate everything from the old physical machine to the new virtual machine.
3. Once everything has been migrated to the new virtual machine, shut down the old physical machine, and then run /usr/local/psa/bin/reconfigurator.pl to replace the IP addresses with the correct ones?

~Matt Simpson

Back