• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Postfix or Qmail ?

J

JoaoCorreia

Would you prefer changing the mail system to postfix ?

Absolutely not !

I think qmail is faster, more secure and rock stable.

postfix is superior - i think it'd be fairly straightforward to port PSA to postfix.

Postfix ... efficient, secure, frequently updated and flexible.

My question would be more towards the point of why not providing a system administrator the option when installing plesk. Perhaps having both as options would increase their customer-base, as some would flat out refuse to use qmail, and some the same with postfix. Not removing completely, just adding more options.

The same goes for other things they operate, such as the webmail (Horde). A simple fix to add Squirellmail isn't hard, but they haven't done it yet. The domain user should have the option of which of MANY webmail apps they want to use. Not be forced to use the only one they see... But that's just my two pennies, and that's all it's really worth...

Whilst I do think it's a nice idea to be flexible like that, offering too much choice will lead to a lot of obscure bugs with are difficult to track down. I guess offering qmail and postfix can't be that difficult (confixx offers options along those lines) as Plesk is only there to rewrite a few configuration files, but I would say that there's more important things to focus on in the meantime such as the hundreds of ideas in the feature-request thread. I do feel that offering a choice of webmail client and stats package is important though, especially since so many people want to use them, but with regard to an MTA I don't think it's all that important as long as the choice is efficient and secure (as both postfix and qmail are).

That's my personal opinion anyway ... I'd much rather see distributed mail than a choice of MTA.

Originally posted by Cranky
That's my personal opinion anyway ... I'd much rather see distributed mail than a choice of MTA.

That's fairly straightforward to implement yourself - we have postfix w/ mailscanner running as our sec mx that is dynamically updated with the relevant info for each domain added to our shared hosting servers.

Originally posted by hostcorp
That's fairly straightforward to implement yourself - we have postfix w/ mailscanner running as our sec mx that is dynamically updated with the relevant info for each domain added to our shared hosting servers.

I mean a centralised mailserver (on a single server) which handles mail for maybe 5 different Plesk boxes rather than running 5 independant mailservers..

Originally posted by Cranky
I mean a centralised mailserver (on a single server) which handles mail for maybe 5 different Plesk boxes rather than running 5 independant mailservers..

Ahh - well that's what I'd consider to be outside the scope of PSA.

PEM has this functionality though.

I understood that the version of qmail supplied with Plesk was 'broken' (if you read the qmail development community), or 'modified' if you're anyone else.

I know stock qmail doesn't support smtp-auth, and needs external spam control, and is really difficult to configure (apparently), but if it works as supplied by SWSoft, then .. my opinion is : what's the problem?

It doesn't matter to me .. as long my clients get their emails and happy with it .. that works for me ..

I don't think client really care what service is running to handle emails as long it works good .. I know I don't care as long I get my email and is able to send emails out ..

Right now the only thing I can see broken is the spam assassin and I wish they would hurry up and fix the damn thing so clients would get off my back about it ..

Bill

Having a choice for both would be nice. After reading ARTs latest thoughts about switching his Gamera project to Postfix, he has some good points which has me already working on a new mail gateway using Postfix on my own. But, I like qmail with PSA, I am already used to using and maintaning it, which I believe is far more cost efficient than just changing it. It has it quirks, but then again, all of the MTAs do.

I personally would rather have them concentrate on polishing their customer offereings (as in what I can offer my hosted customers) as opposed to what "I" get. Then I would like them to move on to making a more distributive system (clustering/load balancing) ala an PEM. For right now, I think Qmail works fine.

I would love to see plesk using postfix. It is the perfect MTA for virtual email.

I've already got the prototype of PG v2.0 working with postfix alongside of PSA. If its a dedicated PG box, it just runs postfix, if you install PG 2.0 on a PSA box you end up with both qmail and postfix. Postfix is whats actually accepting mail though.

short version, if PSA is detected, move qmail to listen on port 10025, postfix listens on 25/465 and passes the connections to the local MTA (qmail) just like a smarthost would normally (except its running on the same box). That way I only maintain one anti-spam/anti-virus system. Also makes easy to separate the two systems at a later date.

Back