• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Postfix queue stuck

Riset

New Pleskian
Since yesterday the mail queue on my server is stuck. I tried the command /usr/sbin/postsuper -r ALL to resend, but that did not work. The I checked the maillog and since there was a lot of email addressen that I don`t know (lots of foreign domains) I thought it was a spam issue. I installed fail2ban and about 15 ip addresses where blocked right away.

This did not solve the issue so I continue to search and then with the command mailq i get for the mails that are in the queue (no spam at all) the next error:

(host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=domain.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

This made me think it`s a DNS issue on the server or an issue for the receiver. I did nslookup ons some of the domains and received the right information. I also send email from another server to those email adresses, that also worked fine. I checked if the server is open relay and/or on a blacklist, that was also not the case. Also I run the plesk repair mail command. The response was that there are no issues on the server.

I think there might be a script trying to send spam since there is emails send to unknown email addresses from all the domains on the server, even from domains that dont use email. Also I see this alot: webserver1 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[3486]: Message aborted.

At this point im frustrated and don`t know where to look anymore. Hope someone here can help me.

Server info:
CentOS 7.6
Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update #56

Regarding the DNS idea: Have you verified that /etc/resolv.conf has valid entries? For example

In regards to a possible spam issue:
- is the daily mail log vastly bigger now than it was in the days before the problem?
- how many messages are in the mail queue?
- is the number of queued messages rising at an abnormal rate?
- if you observe active connections to the server, is there a constant connection to a site or a script that seems odd?
- similarly, is there a persistent SMTP connection from a local user that might indicate a SMTP account breach?
- are you using the Outgoing Mail Control in Plesk?
- is your PHP set up with 'mail.add_x_header = On'?

@Peter Debik

In the /etc/resolv.conf the entries are correct. To be sure I changed them to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 for now.

@Ales

- is the daily mail log vastly bigger now than it was in the days before the problem?

When I open the maillog it seems to be only for one day. It seems very huge/long for a log with a small amount of domains.

- how many messages are in the mail queue?

At this moment there are only about 15 mails in the queue. I removed 10 mails from the queue that where sent from [email protected] (literely, so not an example) to [email protected] (here domain.com is a valid domain on my server but hello@ is not a valid email address).

- is the number of queued messages rising at an abnormal rate?

No, just sometimes there are a few mails showing up from the contact forms.

- if you observe active connections to the server, is there a constant connection to a site or a script that seems odd?

Where can I observe this?

- similarly, is there a persistent SMTP connection from a local user that might indicate a SMTP account breach?

In the logs I think it seems like there is a lot of failed login attempts to non existing mailboxen from existing domains. Othere then that I don`t know how to find out of an SMTP account is breached. Also I turned on maximum of 100 mails per user to sent every day for now and none of the users hit that limit, or get even close to that.

- are you using the Outgoing Mail Control in Plesk?

Yes I do.

- is your PHP set up with 'mail.add_x_header = On'?

This seems to be "Off" at the most used PHP version. Should I turn this to "On" or check all PHP versions if it`s set to "Off"?

The server is sending mail again. I did not change anything in the /etc/resolv.conf but I run restorecon /etc/resolv.conf and after that the mail goes out. Can you think of any reason why this is? Or should I have done this in the first place? Is this a command that should be run always after changing the resolv.conf?

Had the exact same issue, some throttling is going on with Plesk.

Back