• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with exclusive IPs

phoenixisp

Silver Pleskian
On a RedHat 9 box with Plesk 7.5.2 I am having a peculiar problem. I recently got new T1 service which included a new router and a new block of IP addresses. Since then any name based site can be accessed with no problem. But sites (and subdomains mostly) that have an exclusive IP seem to "fall asleep" for lack of a better term. The site will appear - after clicking the link several times. Is this a Plesk problem, an OS problem or maybe even a router issue? I am rapidly becoming bald behind this one.

TIA

Sonny

May be your browser cashed pages. Or your proxy server, if you use proxy. Try holding of CTRL or SHIFT buttons (depends on browser) while clicking on a refresh button.

Thanks anyway, but it's a server or router related problem. It doesn't just happen to me at my location, it's global. I do not use a proxy.

Have you done a DNSReports.com on the domain(s)? You didn't mention how long ago the IP changeover happened, but I have seen similar if not all DNS servers have received propagation.

Also even after the domain's DNS servers have propagated, there are still caching name servers (such as some SBC/PacBell) which take weeks (or months) to flush their cache and get updated info. Happened to me last year, since many of my own clients use SBC DSL, once the IP's were ok on all 3 DNS servers which I run, SBCs servers from the client side still took way too long to update.

The way I tracked it down was to find out what DNS servers the clients were using, then do dig @their_ns_server and found outdated entries being returned by SBC and a few others.

It's been just about a month since it has happened (IP changeover). To temporarily appease some clients I have converted their sites to name based.

I can go to dnsstuff.com and try to ping and tracert and the same thing happens. If I ping from there 3 or 4 times, the site "wakes up" and pings. Then the tracert works and the reverse dns report is fine.

Back