• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple IP addresses and mail configuration

SpamHater

New Pleskian
Hi,

Sorry for the long post and lack of technical experience, but I think the more information you have the better the chance of the help I need, Thank you for considering to read it, and an even bigger thank you if you can offer some support.

I am running a VPS through 123-REG, Plesk version 11.0.9 with CentOS 6.4
I host 3 websites of my own (with 14 mail accounts)
4 websites for clients (with 10 mail accounts)
7 websites for clients (with 0 mail accounts)

The problem I have had in the last 2 weeks is that the server has been compromised once again by spammers, the 1st time this happened in January this year it became apparent that 123 give you the bare bones of a server and expect you to be an expert programmer, and to know everything there is to know to make it safe and usable, when it 1st occurred their support was less than helpful, constantly spouting the phrase "it's a self managed product" however with numerous phone calls, online chats, and support tickets I managed to implement all of their advice which included but was not limited to the following:
Maldetect install and scan, reverse DNS, SMTP banners, SPF records and so on.

2 weeks ago we had another instance and the support was even worse than before, I decided that the best way forward after irradicating the problem and correcting the source, and in the interest of each of my clients I decided to asign each client with their own IP address in the vain hope that if one client account is compromised the others will not be affected, 123-REG agreed that this is a solid solution so I purchased 5 additional IP addresses for the clients I host mail accounts for, (all of the said addresses were blacklisted when I was given them!!!) the reverse DNS was not set up correctly, and couldn't be through their control panel and some didn't match the SMTP banners, then I found out through them that the mail was still sent out through the Primary IP address anyway so if one client gets blacklisted they all still do.

Now they tell me that I can in fact configure Plesk to use each IP address for each client exclusively and they sent me a link to a support article that doesn't actually tell me how to do it.
What I am looking for is somebody to give me the really stupid idiots guide, I can do the following so far:

Find the "smtp" record referenced in the article http://kb.parallels.com/en/114491
1.1.1.1- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=1.1.1.1 -o smtp_bind_address6= -o smtp_address_preference=ipv4
2.2.2.2- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=2.2.2.2 -o smtp_bind_address6= -o smtp_address_preference=ipv4

although mine looks like the one below:
1.1.1.1- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=1.1.1.1 -o smtp_b$

If someone could answer the following questions I would be forever in your debt :)
Is there something missing from the entry I have?
Assuming that 1.1.1.1 = the relevant IP Address for the client do I need to create an entry for each of my IP addresses?
Do I need to do anything else?
Do I need to do anything with SMTP banners? If so how do I do it, and what do I need to do?

The article also mentions the default settings being restored each time you reconfigure mail settings and to consider a scheduled task, does that mean each time I set up a new mail account or a new client as I assume that I will need to repeat these steps in that case anyway, mainly because they will have a unique IP address that needs to be set up.

I really appreciate that this is like Ladybird book stuff to you guys, but to me it's like learning to write War and Peace in Urdu, when I should just be learning how to say Cat and Dog.

Thanks again for bothering to read this and for your help (assuming of course you never lost the will to live back on line 3)

Kind Regards
Ian.

ANy luck with this?

Hi,

Any chance you have managed to figure this out?

I have a lot of general IT experience, but am a complete beginner with web servers and plesk.

I am trying to set this up for for a few domains and for the same reason as you I want to set this up in advance with all outgoing e-mail being sent from different IP addresses.

Let me know please as from the article that FastHost support sent me and also from you question I can't see how these commands will tell the server to send form the correct IP address.

I also really want to keep the web sites on a separate shared IP address, so just in case there is an affect the google rankings when an IP address is blacklisted it does not affect the web sites.

Hi,

Sorry for the long post and lack of technical experience, but I think the more information you have the better the chance of the help I need, Thank you for considering to read it, and an even bigger thank you if you can offer some support.

I am running a VPS through 123-REG, Plesk version 11.0.9 with CentOS 6.4
I host 3 websites of my own (with 14 mail accounts)
4 websites for clients (with 10 mail accounts)
7 websites for clients (with 0 mail accounts)

The problem I have had in the last 2 weeks is that the server has been compromised once again by spammers, the 1st time this happened in January this year it became apparent that 123 give you the bare bones of a server and expect you to be an expert programmer, and to know everything there is to know to make it safe and usable, when it 1st occurred their support was less than helpful, constantly spouting the phrase "it's a self managed product" however with numerous phone calls, online chats, and support tickets I managed to implement all of their advice which included but was not limited to the following:
Maldetect install and scan, reverse DNS, SMTP banners, SPF records and so on.

2 weeks ago we had another instance and the support was even worse than before, I decided that the best way forward after irradicating the problem and correcting the source, and in the interest of each of my clients I decided to asign each client with their own IP address in the vain hope that if one client account is compromised the others will not be affected, 123-REG agreed that this is a solid solution so I purchased 5 additional IP addresses for the clients I host mail accounts for, (all of the said addresses were blacklisted when I was given them!!!) the reverse DNS was not set up correctly, and couldn't be through their control panel and some didn't match the SMTP banners, then I found out through them that the mail was still sent out through the Primary IP address anyway so if one client gets blacklisted they all still do.

Now they tell me that I can in fact configure Plesk to use each IP address for each client exclusively and they sent me a link to a support article that doesn't actually tell me how to do it.
What I am looking for is somebody to give me the really stupid idiots guide, I can do the following so far:

Find the "smtp" record referenced in the article http://kb.parallels.com/en/114491
1.1.1.1- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=1.1.1.1 -o smtp_bind_address6= -o smtp_address_preference=ipv4
2.2.2.2- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=2.2.2.2 -o smtp_bind_address6= -o smtp_address_preference=ipv4

although mine looks like the one below:
1.1.1.1- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=1.1.1.1 -o smtp_b$

If someone could answer the following questions I would be forever in your debt :)
Is there something missing from the entry I have?
Assuming that 1.1.1.1 = the relevant IP Address for the client do I need to create an entry for each of my IP addresses?
Do I need to do anything else?
Do I need to do anything with SMTP banners? If so how do I do it, and what do I need to do?

The article also mentions the default settings being restored each time you reconfigure mail settings and to consider a scheduled task, does that mean each time I set up a new mail account or a new client as I assume that I will need to repeat these steps in that case anyway, mainly because they will have a unique IP address that needs to be set up.

I really appreciate that this is like Ladybird book stuff to you guys, but to me it's like learning to write War and Peace in Urdu, when I should just be learning how to say Cat and Dog.

Thanks again for bothering to read this and for your help (assuming of course you never lost the will to live back on line 3)

Kind Regards
Ian.

Back