• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with ftp - "home directory inaccessible"

S

stefax71

Problem with ftp after moving accounts to drive D:

Hello all,
I have been working on this issue all the morning. I just created a new domain using Plesk 8.2 on a Windows Server 2003. Every time I try to log in using ftp with this new account I receive "530 User <username> cannot log in, home directory inaccessible".

My hostname is shorter than 15 symbols (the domain name, including the dot and the tld is 16 characters if this helps in any way), the domain I setup resolves correctly (I checked with nslookup) and I tried to run the plesk ftp remove/reconfiguration utility more than once without success. Every other user on the server can ftp perfectly.

I tried to look in the logs (I am quite a newbie on Windows, I am more a *nix kind of person) and found out the following error:

"User <username> failed to log on, could not access the home directory /."

I guess this can be the problem. No clue on what the directory / in this case tho... is it the ftp root of the user? The root of the entire system (and in this case the root of which disk, since Windows FS is quite different from *nix, so / would make little sense in this case)? If this is the problem, any clue on how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance

Stefano

I forgot to mention that all the accounts that work were created before the move of the accounts (using Plesk Reconfigurator) to drive D:. All the ones newly created on drive D: do not work, those that were created on C: and then moved on D: work perfectly. Of course now I cannot move everything back to drive C: due to lack of disk space on C:.

Yes, I am actually very disappointed... lurking the forums you can see they ALWAYS reply when it's up to sell something, but almost never say anything to solve people problems. It might be because they SELL the support, which most other companies provide included in the price, but still my case is obviously Plesk NOT WORKING properly. Whenever I create a new account, the directory for the local user it's not made, leading to the error mentioned. If I create it manually and give it the proper privileges, I can ftp but then changes obviously do not reflect on the web root.

I will try it a bit more then I cancel my Plesk subscription and look for some other solution.

Ok I kinda fixed it. I ran Plesk Reconfigurator and moved the virtual host directory somewhere else, then move it back to where I want it. That fixed all the accounts that did not work. Now when I create a new account it allows the user to ftp to it (even if it often requires me to create/delete the account some times before I get everything setup properly).

Ok I kinda fixed it. I ran Plesk Reconfigurator and moved the virtual host directory somewhere else, then move it back to where I want it. That fixed all the accounts that did not work. Now when I create a new account it allows the user to ftp to it (even if it often requires me to create/delete the account some times before I get everything setup properly).

What I've done with the 8.6.0.1 update (which broke one of my most valuable domains) was rename the domain within Plesk to something unimportant (like example.com) then completely recreate it. Re-up the content, duplicate the values (stuff like mail and aliases), and then copy the other info (like existing email) to the correct folder. It's CRITICAL that you COPY the content, not move it, since 'move' in Windows preserves the permissions from the original (which will break access to the file), while a 'copy' will assume the permissions of the files new location.

Thanks Shall, I will try that as well in case I still experience problems (I use 8.2). I have no mails setup on this server (mails are setup on a separated Linux server) so all I would have to do is just to copy the webroot files.

I am still very disappointed at Plesk tho, it did everything itself (as soon as I moved the vhost directory) and Parallels did not reply to any of my messages. I think I will change panel as soon as a valid alternative is available.

Stefano

Back