• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PROTEST BY LICENSEES We don't want 7.5.3-beta. We want 7.5.3-fullversion without bugs

Originally posted by Cranky

Sure, they're going to be more committed to the new release as that's what their marketing/sales teams demand, but in reality I don't see an issue with 7.1.x as it's not reached EOL and will be maintained. If this isn't the case I completely agree with you ... it should be, and needs to be, but IMHO so far it has been.

I think we are in agreement then. I was under the impression that once they moved up a x.x then that tree had reached it's EOL. I really hadn't been paying that much attention. It could be that sw-soft has been doing things better than I have being giving them credit for. I didn't ever suspsect that they maintained two trees at the same time for one platform.

If I'm remembering correctly, all versions since Plesk 6 are still maintained (6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.5) ... whilst updates do take longer for older releases (I guess to keep them stable that may not be a bad thing) they do get there eventually for anything major.

Just fyi, i was all gung ho about signing this petition based on past experience. I upgraded to 7.5.3 last night expecting an all niter. Everything upgraded normally, i have yet to experience any bugs. Thanks plesk for a rock solid update. Maybe all of you should just give the update 7-10 days before attempting to update.

FULL-ACK

3 long nights of trying to fix the problem. Had to lease another server and start migrating everything over. Yeah, not fun.

Dear Mister Lee!

Originally posted by Jason Lee
When you read my posts do you conveniently forget parts of my posts? I stated before and will state again. Before the upgrade to 7.5.3 I ALWAYS used the auto updater button in the control panel with NO major problems (in fact only two minor problems that I was able to fix in a matter of minutes).

Also you might want to read through the End User Agreement:

6. Disclaimer

THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION ARE LICENSED AS IS, AND SWSOFT DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TO THE EXTENT AUTHORIZED BY LAW. WITHOUT LIMITATION OF THE FOREGOING, SWSOFT EXPRESSLY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. YOU ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR SELECTING THE SOFTWARE TO ACHIEVE YOUR INTENDED RESULTS, AND FOR THE RESULTS OBTAINED FROM YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE. YOU SHALL BEAR THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE.

Also Editor, since your an editor you probably already know that its illegal to publicly defame someone. So DO NOT defame me by saying that I bluff and lie to users here about not having problems with Plesk. I personally hope a moderater will come and put this thread out of its missery as its not productive at all and is just you bashing (defaming) SWSoft and now me.

If you have such a big problem with Plesk because you are not a real server admin and rely on Plesk to run your server then leave or find someone else to administer the server for you. Not all server admins cost a fortune. I myself charge customers $25 USD/hour to administer servers (Plesk or not) for them. Any control pannel wether it be Cpannel, Plesk or whatever will have bugs. Plesk is IMO the most stable I've seen out there. They are not replacements for

Hopefully a forum moderater will drop by and put this thread out of its missery because it doesn't server any purpose but to cause trouble.

PS:

It wasn't hacked it was updated. Two tottally different actions. I thought you said you were an editor? why would you make a mistake like that and missrepresent the truth? I guess thats why your an editor for a magazine and not a newspaper (something that tells the truth without blowing it out of proportion)

This disclaimer does not count.

Section 303a Alteration of Data
(1) Whoever unlawfully deletes, suppresses, renders unusable or alters data (Section 202a subsection (2)), shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than two years or a fine.

(2) An attempt shall be punishable.

Section 303b Computer Sabotage
(1) Whoever interferes with data processing which is of substantial significance to the business or enterprise of another or a public authority by:

1. committing an act under Section303a subsection (1); or

2. destroying, damaging, rendering unusable, removing or altering a data processing system or a data carrier,

shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than five years or a fine.

SW Soft hasn't my agreement to destroy my important email-software and my data base. They can minimise the damage and are responsible for the compensation for loss. How they do this and if they do this, this is not my problem. I am only a victim who need my email so urgent.

Kind Regards
Monika Mayrhofer

Originally posted by mayrhofer
Dear Mister Lee!

This disclaimer does not count.

Section 303a Alteration of Data
(1) Whoever unlawfully deletes, suppresses, renders unusable or alters data (Section 202a subsection (2)), shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than two years or a fine.

Section 303b Computer Sabotage
(1) Whoever interferes with data processing which is of substantial significance to the business or enterprise of another or a public authority by:

1. committing an act under Section303a subsection (1); or

2. destroying, damaging, rendering unusable, removing or altering a data processing system or a data carrier,

shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than five years or a fine.

SW Soft hasn't my agreement to destroy my important email-software and my data base. They can minimise the damage and are responsible for the compensation for loss. How they do this and if they do this, this is not my problem. I am only a victim who need my email so urgent.

Kind Regards
Monika Mayrhofer

You making a weak. Correction, you make a very weak attempt at putting a law together to back your opinion, there are two problems with this:

1.) You would be very hard pressed to get get your case even heard in court.

2.) law requires clarity, and that was some of the worst english I have ever read. I really don't even understand what you are trying to say.

The point here is, take your wining somewhere else, or don't just run your mouth, do something.

Hi all,

first i must say that i haven´t read the whole thread.
I also made the update from 7.5.2 to 7.5.3 and it works without problems.
But im familiar with the Shell and i´m able to fix problems by myself.
Some posts above, someone write about enduser who only klick the updater button,
imho such endusers should have admin rights on a linuxserver. Its the same problem
which we have in Germany where i live.
Lots of people think that it is so easy to administer with a Interface like Plesk and they get hacked.

If you are not familiar with Linuxadministration then you shouldn´t buy a dedicated Server.
Or you should have somebody who made the job for you.

bye
murdog

@murdog

again, this isnt the point. ive solved the problems self too. my question is.... WHY we have to do this for sw-soft???

why I have to spend a night to bring servers back online after a recommend update???

we are now on the way to move 7 productive boxes to another hoster sience our host just switched from ensim to plesk. and yes, our host ask us why, and yes, we have answer him "why" we do again some nigts of work just to move away from a "plesk" hoster.

sorry for my bad english

way

FULL-ACK
just tried 7.5.2 > 7.5.3 on rhel

havent checked everything yet but migration manager at least seems broken.

I noticed several unhelpful posts along the lines of "I am really smart and can use the command line so it doesnt matter how broke it is anyway"

However if people have to start cli-ing around to fix things / find alternatives then such commendable capabilty only obscures plesk's lack of it, and clearly lack of feedback doesn't get issues resolved.

IMHO:
Beta or not - basic clickable stuff on a standard os install should have been tested and work. No matter how capable or inexperienced the admin.

So - FULL-ACK

below is migration manager error. I havent really looked into it yet but FYI 'domain.com' doesnt exist on the server

ERROR

MigrationExec::getErrorFile failed: mast be one text
0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/PMM/MigrationExec.php:187 psaerror(string "MigrationExec::getErrorFile failed: mast be one text")
1: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/PMM/MigrationDeploy.php:107 migrationdeployer->_parseerrfile(string "<?xml version="1.0"?> <messages><message code="FailedDatabaseDeploymentException" severity="error"><context>virtual int tDatabaseDeployer::act(xmlNode*) const</context><file>deployer/pmm_deploy.cpp</file><line>1739</line><args><arg name="databaseName">mysql</arg><arg name="domainName">domain.com</arg></args><message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="error"><context>void psa::ExecCmd::reportError() const</context><file>ExecCmd.cpp</file><line>46</line><args><arg name="cmdLine">'/usr/local/psa/bin/database.sh' '--create' 'mysql' '-domain' 'domain.com' '-type' 'mysql'</arg><arg name="retcode">1</arg><arg name="stdout_"></arg><arg name="stderr_">Unable to create database: Can't create database 'mysql'. Database exists </arg></args></message></message></messages> ")
2: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/PMM/MigrationDeployEndInfoForm.php:38 migrationdeploy->getendmsg()
3: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/server/PMM/index.php:20 migrationdeployendinfoform->assign(object of type migrationdeploy)

ACK I think....

I pushed the update button and spent the next several hours and some significant tech $$ trying to keep the server running waiting until Plesk Support found an ioncube php.ini conflict created by either the PSA update or the Sitebuilder update.

I don't know what the answer is. Usually there has been no problem with the updater until now.

I have been using the Control Panel since 3 or 4x, can't recall. Tried some others last year. All are somewhat buggy. Came back to Plesk for two reasons.
1) My clients love it. For them it is seemless and simple. If I didn't need something for the clients, I would simply do all the configs myself on a straight OS install. Nothing wrong with being familiar with httpd.conf.
2) I have had no problems to have service through Help Desk tickets, or from billing issues contacting SW-Soft through email. I am pleased at the level of Customer Service they offer.

As for me, I have certainly had some issues. I had the blank page in Horde after 7.5.3 last night but a peruse of these forums took care of the issue.

My suggestion in general (seems critical to me actually)....I built a test box for about $200 and dualboot it with two drives; one for WinXP because god knows that their updates are more questionable than any other software I have ever used for making a possible 'hose' and the other drive boots my current LinuxOS for testing any Plesk updates, etc. I am aware that my hardware is not the same as my production box in my datacenter which is leased (not one I built and co-located). But you know something? For the most part, I can get an idea of what will or will not work. For example, I have been running CentOS with Plesk for the last 6 months even though it was unsupported until this last install. Took me a week on my test box but darn it! I got it to work and am free of the cost of paying RedHat (bless them though) the three yards yearly with a questionable amount of included tech support there as well.

Bottom line? Test box is critical. Web server? Get ready to learn and relearn often. Enjoy the experience. It is a good workout for the braincells. Pity the couch potatoes who do nothing with their craniums. Fixing one's own box is an excellent tutorial to computing in general. And again, I have not had to pay for any support from SW-Soft ever and I am just a lease month to monther os I could hardly matter financially to them.

Just my dime.

Chris

FULL-ACK

i updated to 7.5.3. without knowing what i would run into.

it seems that my server went from STABLE to UNSTABLE :mad:

Originally posted by murdog
Hi all,

first i must say that i haven´t read the whole thread.
I also made the update from 7.5.2 to 7.5.3 and it works without problems.
But im familiar with the Shell and i´m able to fix problems by myself.
Some posts above, someone write about enduser who only klick the updater button,
imho such endusers should have admin rights on a linuxserver. Its the same problem
which we have in Germany where i live.
Lots of people think that it is so easy to administer with a Interface like Plesk and they get hacked.

If you are not familiar with Linuxadministration then you shouldn´t buy a dedicated Server.
Or you should have somebody who made the job for you.

bye
murdog

my question is: why there's that UPDATE icon in plesk??? and if i've to administer the server via shell (in this case not only administer: also fix it!!) why i've to pay for a software that have to facilitate my job with a webinterface????

if the "update icon" doesn't work i can't see any explanation to left it there!

i'm using plesk from 2 weeks... the server come with 7.5.1.. tryed to upgrade to 7.5.3 with the update function but it fails miserably...

so i upgraded it to 7.5.2 via shell and it works ok....

today i've seen 7.5.3 under the 3ES yum repositore at ART..

but i'm too worried to do the upgrade...

now plesk is working... there are too many people that break it after the upgrade... and i don't want to break mine :)

so FULL-ACK also for me...

i had ZERO problems with the upgrade from 7.5.2 to 7.5.3

i used the auto updater and presto everytihng still worked as it did with 7.5.2.

i think peoples prob is that they dont use RH. I have found PSA runs a lot smoother on RH ES

Originally posted by nero0247
i had ZERO problems with the upgrade from 7.5.2 to 7.5.3

i used the auto updater and presto everytihng still worked as it did with 7.5.2.

i think peoples prob is that they dont use RH. I have found PSA runs a lot smoother on RH ES

sounds interesting since i'm at a point of trying anything.
still figuring out if i shoudl drop plesk en go with cpanel or something like that , or try another OS

I encountered the blank screen of death when upgrading to 7.5.3 using the updater.

Thanks for that.

Originally posted by Cranky
If you're so concerned about these issues why not stick with Plesk 7.1.7, or CPanel/Ensim/DirectAdmin/HSPhere/Sphera/develop your own? I run more Plesk servers than the majority of people on here, and I think the software is great ... it definately meets the requirements of my business and my clients. Sure there's bugs, same with all software, but I don't honestly believe that there's enough bugs in Plesk 7.5.3 to call it a beta version, far from it and one of the best releases so far IMHO.

There's bugs?

Just upgraded 20 Plesk 7.5.2 machines (all RHEL3) in one hit. Had 2 issues:

1) MIGRATION_D_DIR was unset on 1 of them, easily fixed.
2) The Plesk database upgrade failed due to it's attempt to convert the tables to InnoDB too quickly (although maybe it was the fact that I was caching the InnoDB data dictionary). Made a quick script to wait 3 seconds and do it manually then forced the upgrade again. Worked fine. That happened on about 4 machines.

Sorry, but unless I'm going to wake up tomorrow and be hounded by 5000 users I've yet to see major problems.

Perhaps it's just lady luck.. :p

Stuart Low

Oh another thing. I hadn't realised Plesk had moved Horde out of the main PSA distribution. That means that webmail.* broke instantly.

VERY easily fixed though, just installed the RPMs.

SW-Soft, for the next revision, it might be worth adding a Requires: psa-horde tag to your src.rpm. :)

Stuart

FULL ACK - Amen editor!

We've paid lots of money to buy the Plesk licenses and addons, but I'm really fed up with the fact that everytime there's a new version out, there are also some new bugs or issues introduced. Looks like SW-Soft doesn't have a solid and qualified beta team there. Or probably they just do a clean install of the new version and once the install is completed and PSA can run, they assume the new version is stable :D

They better run the upgrade on their live production servers first before releasing it to public.

Back